Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
mosca
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a set of wheels and find the rim choices somewhat limited. probably because of the factory pre-built wheel system phenom.
I suppose the popular choice is Open Pro but Mavic doesn't use offset spoke design which seems a better way to go.
I've found two rims that use this design:
IRD and Velocity.
Does anyone have feedback on these or any other ideas?
I'm looking for a relatively lightweight fast-training set that will be durable with Dura Ace hubs. My LBS suggests DT 14/15 gauge spokes.

·
Registered
578 Posts
either or... irds are a tiny bit lighter if im not mistaken.... and ive had issues with velocitys stress cracking near the nipple... so just on a personal thing... i probably wouldnt purchase another set... and ird only comes in black.... i think you can get velocity in a ton of colors...

both will be lightweight... and dura ace hubs are sturdy.. not the lightest things out there but they work...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Somewhat annecdotal, but a number of people are seeing issues with cracks in the area around the offset spoke holes on the Velocity rims. From first impressions it would appear that the rim bed wasn't reinforced to account for the off center stress. Shimano had similar issues with their off center rear rims as well, so it's not a unique problem.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
I built my wife a set of velocities about a year ago or so. She's got probably 3k miles on them without a problem. 24 radial front, 28 3X rear. But I'm going to make sure to keep an eye on the rims after the warnings above.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do these reports of stress cracks only apply to the offset rims (e.g. Aerohead OC), or all Velocity rims? I ask because I just built a rear wheel with a 36h DeepV and I'm wondering if I should be keeping an eye on this, or maybe back off the spoke tension a bit (I've got around 130kgf on the drive side at the moment). Other than that, it's a fine rim, though probably too heavy for the OP's purposes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've owned both offset bed rims and traditional bed rims (Mavic mainly) and have seen absolutely no evidence that an offset bed rim increases the lifespan of a wheel. In fact, being an ex-mechanic who built up a few hundred wheels, the Mavic rims were almost always the easiest to build due to a great true and round rim to begin with. And again, I saw no evidence that offset spoke beds extended the life of customer's wheels (in fact, since the offset spoke bed rims were often lower quality than Mavic, It would be safe to say they had shorter lifespans)

I would take an Mavic Open Pro over a IRD or Velocity any day of the week, their durability has been proven for many years (my current Open Pro's, handbuilt, and are 7 years old and still rolling strong)

And DT Competitions (14/15) are an excellent spoke choice BTW

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Velocity update

Metaluna said:
Do these reports of stress cracks only apply to the offset rims (e.g. Aerohead OC), or all Velocity rims? I ask because I just built a rear wheel with a 36h DeepV and I'm wondering if I should be keeping an eye on this, or maybe back off the spoke tension a bit (I've got around 130kgf on the drive side at the moment). Other than that, it's a fine rim, though probably too heavy for the OP's purposes.
The first Velocity Aerohead OC rims I got were around 405 gm. The first wheel I built with one cracked at about 12K miles. I assumed I had over-tensioned it, so I reduced the tension with the second build. That rim has cracked at about 25K miles. The crack on both rims was in the same relative location: just below the spoke hole on the sloped drive side of the rim, and the crack ran parallel to the rim circumfrence. Interestingly, the wheels stayed true for many, many miles after the crack developed. For reference, these are 32 spoke wheels and I weigh 180 lbs.

However, I really do like the OC concept and I found another Velocity Aerohead OC rim at AE bike for $45 so I bought it and will build a new wheel with it. The new rim weighs 438 gm. I don't know if this weight increase is due to extrusion die wear or a change in design, but in either case, I expect these newer rims will be stronger. Unfortunately, rim failure is a "feature" of the market these days as everyone seeks to make components as light as possible. MAVIC and others have had more than their share of rim cracking issues, so this problem is not unique to Velocity.

My wife's wheels are built with regular Aeroheads and have around 30K miles on them with no issues. But then, she only weighs 120 lb.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
FWIW I changed to Velocity rims after having ridden Mavics OPs. The Mavics were shot within 2 years. I bought a pair of Velocity Deep Vs 32 hole. They've been on for 2 years now. They've never been trued after the initial building, so they've already exceeded the Mavics. I also appreciate the fact that they don't have the Mavic "click." We'll see how long they last.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.