Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering my rim options for a 700c 36/32/3X road/gravel road wheelset (clincher) to use tire widths from 28mm to, well, somewhere in the low 40s.

I'm not building 'cross wheels, but I know 'cross people use tires wider than 28 mm on Open Pro rims, so I'm posting in the 'cross forum as I thought you folks would know.

Mavic says the widest recommended tire on its Open Pro (15mm rim width) is 28mm, while the max width tire for its A719 (19mm rim width) is 47mm.

What sayeth the 'cross forum: do you disregard Mavic's advice? Do you like/know another rim which weighs less than the A719 (567 gr) that takes wider tires?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well I've run 32mm tires (both cross tires and commuting tires) for years on my handbuilt Open Pro wheelset with nary an issue if that helps.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
29er riders were riding OPs with 2.1" tires back before 29er specific rims were available. Some still are.

What is the basis of Mavic's recommendation, anyway? I could see a potential problem with tire-blow-off if you put a huge tire on and tried to pump it up to 120 PSI, but nobody does that.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I run Stan's Crows on Alex DH19 rims (Redline Monocog). In a recent race, I burped some air in the back tire and started fishtailing on practically every turn. Since it was toward the end, I just slowed up and finished the race. Afterward, I was chatting with a guy (whose opinion I respect) and he said I probably wouldn't have been rolling that tire with a wider rim.

That said, we're talking a 2" tire at low pressure (probably <18psi after the burp), so take it FWIW.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK - That helps - lots of people ignore the factory...

29er specific rims - that's a place for me to look...

I don't know the basis for the factory recommendation; that's really at the heart of my question. I guessed it related to handling & roll off, e.g. a big balloon tire set in a narrow rim wouldn't have much resistance to side loads so handling would be squirrly and the tire would be subject to rolling off the rim....

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
A wider rim will support a wider tire at low pressures. However, the tires you are talking about are not particularly large, and you are not going to be able to run them low enough to make a difference unless you are going tubeless. With tubes, the min pressure to keep from pinch flatting should be more than enough to prevent handling issues.

I've run 2.3" tires on Velocity Deep Vs (19mm) at 30-35 PSI and they were fine. I have also run 2.1s on Mavic MA3s (20.2mm) at 30 PSI and they were fine.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kraige said:
DT also makes a wider touring specific rim that may suit your purposes and give you more peace of mind.
I noted their TK series (which they called trekking and which, to me looks like touring).

That's basically my intended use, but not loaded touring/trekking (either day rides or supported and plenty of climbing.) So, I thought the lighter wheel, would be OK since I ride Open Pros on my road bikes. I was also thinking that the bigger tires would absorb and distribute road shock more than would a typical road tire so a light wheel like an Open Pro or DT XR 4.1 (or even RR 1.1) would be plenty strong. I've given my OPs some pretty good pothole hits and they're still coming back for more (can't say the same for the pinch flatted tube though!)

Does that sound right or am I trying to convince myself to defy the laws of practicality and reliability?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know about whether rim width matters with your tire choice. You are right that a larger volume tire will help with cushioning the rim from impacts unless you run it at very low pressure, in which case you could bottom out.

The other consideration to think about it how often you switch wheels and what kind of braking system you are using. If you switch between a 19mm wide wheelset and a 21mm wide wheelset you will have to adjust your brakes. I have my cantis set up with adjuster barrels on the cable hangers, so the adjustment is easy. Still, I have to think about it and it is one more thing to deal with before I hit the road. If I could do it over again, I'd buy rims so that my wheelsets, tubular and clincher, were as close to the same width as possible to minimize this - even with adjusting barrels.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
IMO you could pick any one of those rims and be fine. They are all plenty strong for unloaded touring/trekking, and will all provide adequate handling with large volume CX tires.
Thanks

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kraige said:
I don't know about whether rim width matters with your tire choice. You are right that a larger volume tire will help with cushioning the rim from impacts unless you run it at very low pressure, in which case you could bottom out.

The other consideration to think about it how often you switch wheels and what kind of braking system you are using. If you switch between a 19mm wide wheelset and a 21mm wide wheelset you will have to adjust your brakes. I have my cantis set up with adjuster barrels on the cable hangers, so the adjustment is easy. Still, I have to think about it and it is one more thing to deal with before I hit the road. If I could do it over again, I'd buy rims so that my wheelsets, tubular and clincher, were as close to the same width as possible to minimize this - even with adjusting barrels.
As to bottoming out, I contemplate running road pressure, not cross pressure so I'm not abnormally worried about that.

As to wheel changes: Good point, one I hadn't considered.

My basic plan would be to switch tires, rather than wheels as the routine use would be 28/32 mm road tire and the special use would be the wider road/expedition/trekking/cross/to be determined tire.

However, if I wanted to swap on an OP set for whatever reason, I'd have to adjust the brakes.

Thanks for the tip....

·
Registered
216 Posts
FWIW...my three 'cross wheelsets are:
Mavic CXP-21 have a 19mm rim that I run 700x30's for fast conditions
Alex DH-19 have a 21mm rim that I run 700x40's for sloppy conditions
Salsa Delgado with a 29mm rim that I run 29x2.3" WTB tires for pure off-road.

·
Registered
302 Posts
WTB dual duties

I was wrestling with the same question for a while because I wanted to run big tyres on my commuter/monster cross pig and I'm an uber-clyde so was a bit concerned about OPs for the application. I ended up building wheels for my commuter/monster cross pig with WTB dual duty XCs. Not super heavy, so far bomb proof. Currently running 37s.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.