Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last week I demoed a very nice bike with Zipp 404's. I already have a very nice bike, but I now want deep aero wheels. Unfortunately I cannot be dropping $2100 on a wheelset, I probably shouldn't be spending any money on wheels as my current set is great.

So, I'm wondering how much difference is there between aero aluminium rims and aero carbon rims of similar depth? Will ride quality differ? Will aluminium make the same wooshing sound? If I get struck by lightning will carbon rims transfer the shock to the ground?

So far I've found that aluminum is a couple hundred grams heavier, and a couple thousand dollars cheaper, but I've never ridden deep alu rims.

I'm looking at possibly the soul S4.0s because they're cheap and deep, or waiting quite a while and going for some carbon rims like the reynolds clinchers. Opinions?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SleeveleSS said:
I think weight is the main disadvantage of Al. deep section rims.
Yeah, but it's not always a huge difference. The Flash Point 40mm rim is around 500g and the complete wheelset is around 1732g. The Soul wheels (also 40mm) have a claimed weight of ~1680g, and I'm not sure what the rims weigh.

Plastic and metal have very different properties, I'm wondering how different two wheelsets will ride if the main difference is rim material.

·
Registered
863 Posts
threesportsinone said:
Yeah, but it's not always a huge difference. The Flash Point 40mm rim is around 500g and the complete wheelset is around 1732g. The Soul wheels (also 40mm) have a claimed weight of ~1680g, and I'm not sure what the rims weigh.

Plastic and metal have very different properties, I'm wondering how different two wheelsets will ride if the main difference is rim material.
Considering those weights are around a pound heavier than similar aero carbon clincher options, and about two pounds heavier than some aero carbon tubular options, I think most would say that's a pretty big difference. I have never ridden an aluminum deep section rim, so I can't comment on the ride comparison. Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in here.

I will say that I don't really notice a difference in the ride of my deep section carbon rims, compared to my climbing Al. wheelset. The only thing I do notice is that the deep section wheels are harder to get up to speed, and stay there easier. That might very well be in my head, but it does follow that whole moment of inertia thing. :D As far as your original questions, were the first two serious and the second two in jest?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
SleeveleSS said:
Considering those weights are around a pound heavier than similar aero carbon clincher options, and about two pounds heavier than some aero carbon tubular options, I think most would say that's a pretty big difference. I have never ridden an aluminum deep section rim, so I can't comment on the ride comparison. Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in here.

I will say that I don't really notice a difference in the ride of my deep section carbon rims, compared to my climbing Al. wheelset. The only thing I do notice is that the deep section wheels are harder to get up to speed, and stay there easier. That might very well be in my head, but it does follow that whole moment of inertia thing. :D As far as your original questions, were the first two serious and the second two in jest?
2lbs lighter would be around 800grams, I wouldn't call LEW wheels similar to what I'm talking about. And Reynolds assaults around claimed at 1525 (1/3 pound lighter, but they're 6mm deeper).

This whole aero thing is completely new to me, I've only ridden for 10miles on some Zipps and now I need some, so I could tell enough difference to justify new wheels to myself, but if deep alu wheels will be more similar to my current wheels than to the Zipps, then it's not worth it to me. However, if it only costs $375 (before tires and another cassette) then it might be fun to try it out, if there is a reasonable difference.

Yes the last 2 questions were in jest, but if I get aero wheels I do kinda want the wooshing sound (I love loud wheels, I'm gonna get a RED cassette to amplify my Chris King hubs), and lightning protection is always a bonus.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Math major?

SleeveleSS said:
Considering those weights are around a pound heavier than similar aero carbon clincher options, and about two pounds heavier than some aero carbon tubular options, I think most would say that's a pretty big difference.
2 pounds is over 900 grams. Are you saying that there are some 800 gm tubular wheel sets this guy should be considering? Or in the case of your quoted one pound savings for clinchers, that you can recommend some 1230 gm deep section wheels? Just asking.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
2 pounds is over 900 grams. Are you saying that there are some 800 gm tubular wheel sets this guy should be considering? Or in the case of your quoted one pound savings for clinchers, that you can recommend some 1230 gm deep section wheels? Just asking.
I have no idea if he should be considering them. He did not mention his weight or riding style anywhere I can see. I simply stated that they exist. He said there's "not always a huge difference." I'm saying there can be. There are sub 700 gram carbon tubular wheels made now. I have no idea whether I would want to ride them or not, but they exist. As to the clinchers, here are some that are sub 1100 grams that I would recommend. They are around 580 grams lighter than the numbers he mentioned, which last I checked was well over a pound.

I know that he can't afford them because he can't afford the Zipps (and lord knows I sure can't afford them either), but his point about the weight differences not being large is not quite complete. Perhaps you could shed some light on his main question, the difference in Al. vs. carbon deep sections, instead of questioning my statements without doing any research of your own. Oh, and you're right, I wasn't a math major.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
SleeveleSS said:
I have no idea if he should be considering them. He did not mention his weight or riding style anywhere I can see. I simply stated that they exist. He said there's "not always a huge difference." I'm saying there can be. There are sub 700 gram carbon tubular wheels made now. I have no idea whether I would want to ride them or not, but they exist. As to the clinchers, here are some that are sub 1100 grams that I would recommend. They are around 580 grams lighter than the numbers he mentioned, which last I checked was well over a pound.

I know that he can't afford them because he can't afford the Zipps (and lord knows I sure can't afford them either), but his point about the weight differences not being large is not quite complete. Perhaps you could shed some light on his main question, the difference in Al. vs. carbon deep sections, instead of questioning my statements without doing any research of your own. Oh, and you're right, I wasn't a math major.
I usually ride in a relatively straight line or smooth curve, moderately fast, ~60% solo, ~30%in a group, 5%at the front of the group, 3% off the back of the group, 2%on rollers. I'm 5'10 160lbs, but I'm going to be backpacking for 45days in the Brooks Range in AK in a month, so that # will change a little.

Thanks for linking $5000+ wheels, it's bad enough that I'm surrounded by Zipps and wealthy customers all day.

Where's Forrest Root to tell me how little wheel weight matters? Wheres the retro grouch crowd to tell me that carbon will explode? Wheres the weight weenie crowd to tell me how fun and durable a 12lb bike can be?

·
Registered
863 Posts
threesportsinone said:
I usually ride in a relatively straight line or smooth curve, moderately fast, ~60% solo, ~30%in a group, 5%at the front of the group, 3% off the back of the group, 2%on rollers. I'm 5'10 160lbs, but I'm going to be backpacking for 45days in the Brooks Range in AK in a month, so that # will change a little.

Thanks for linking $5000+ wheels, it's bad enough that I'm surrounded by Zipps and wealthy customers all day.

Where's Forrest Root to tell me how little wheel weight matters? Wheres the retro grouch crowd to tell me that carbon will explode?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
personally i'm waiting to see what the soul 4.0s are like... sean wai is awesome to deal with, and its not really fair comparing them to full carbon clinchers or tubulars.... its not even close to the same category...

the earlier reference comparing the carbon/alu track flashpoint @ 40mm to the soul 4.0s is a much better comparison... and is where the 4.0s become a very attractive proposition... its pretty good to now have an option for 40mm aero wheels under 1.7kg for just a few hundred... makes them prime crit/road race material for the unsponsored...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.