Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone, I have a 16h Neuvation r28x rim that looks to be developing the start of a couple of stress fractures. I understand the implications of such a low-spoke wheel, but to be honest, I love the fat bladed spokes and the look of them. I have a nice set of Pacenti SL23 wheels I built that are 24/28, among other kinlin xc279 wheels that I built that have a higher spoke count than the Neuvation. It looks like it is developing some nipple cracks, but I wasnt sure if it is pitch them right off the bat, or ride them awhile, etc. Also, could it be salvaged by rebuilding with nipple washers, or would that not be safe?

I re-built the rear wheel with an XC279 wide kinlin, and it worked very well, and can handle the lower spoke count much better than the stock rim. I would love to do that to the front, but they don't make a 16h rim. Any ideas? 32h rim on a 16h hub? I have fat continental 4ks tires on these(25 in the front and 28(measures 31mm) on the back), so hopefully that takes a little pressure off. Even if I can get them safe, I could just put them on my wife's bike, and she is about 120lbs, so no stress on the wheels. Here is a pic. Thanks!

Brian

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Cracked rims = junk rims. There is no way around it. If you insist on low spoke numbers, consider nipple washers and read John Neugent's ideas on that. If "fat bladed spokes and the look of them" is your criteria for wheels then accept that less spokes = more pressure per spoke = more chance of nipple hole cracks. Back in the day, 32 spoke wheels were soooo forgiving and no-one can tell (or care) how many spokes you have when the wheel is actually rotating.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I had cracks like that or bigger on literally every hole on a set of Kinlin 270 rims, so obviously I would have been riding them with a few cracks for quite a while before I took a close look and noticed every hole had a tiny crack. So "off the record" you could very likely ride for a while and be fine but that would be playing Russian roulette and replacing the rim is inevitable so just don't go there.

....and here's something that might come in handy: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...or-bicycles/ZSm5E2aMU7OhTIAMP6z7yJ/story.html

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
If you prefer ultra low count wide-blade spoked wheels your only solution is factory wheels designed specifically to do that. Spokes are of a increased crossectional area to account for not being made out of steel.
No hand built wheel with conventional, readily available components will come close to their weight-stiffness ratio if this means so much to you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully about 120Kgf or 260lbs (per spoke) which is what caused the cracks in the first place.
Ha! I knew that might catch some flack around here which is why I had lots of disclaimers in the original post. I understand spoke tension to a degree. I meant a 120lb rider will obviously place less stress on a wheel than a 190lb rider. I have other wheels that I was able to build with your help, and I enjoy messing around with wheels and building them, and I was just looking for a way to salvage this neuvation wheel which I happen to like.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
a 120lb rider will obviously place less stress on a wheel than a 190lb rider.
Yes, true, but the constant spoke tension always has to exceed rider weight plus shock load, otherwise, if a spoke loses all its tension, the nipple leaves its seat and it's just the strength of the unsupported rim (which is very low) holding everything up.

I have other wheels that I was able to build with your help,
Awesome!

I enjoy messing around with wheels and building them, and I was just looking for a way to salvage this neuvation wheel which I happen to like.
Your Missus deserves nice wheels and not your dumpster food !! :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
I won't judge. I've thought of scalping my wife's bike with 300 miles in 5 years of their wheels and putting my "ridden hard and put away wet" factory wheels on her bike. Instead I just recycle hubs and eBay a hub sets when I can.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She does! Of course, safety is paramount. She has an amazing bike which looks nice in the garage! :)

For now, I just put the rim in question on my cx bike, as it doesn't get as much use and usually I am not going as fast on it. I might keep an eye out for a 16h rim or rebuilt it with nipple washers to buy some time.

Can a 32h rim be used on a 16h hub as a 16h rim can be used on a 32h hub?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
When the crack proceeds far enough the nipple will be pulled up by spoke tension. But just enough to reduce the tension significantly. With reduced tension there's much less force on the nipple to continue the crack. So the rim is not going to fail completely or suddenly.

But the won't be much tension on the spoke. It'll be similar to a broken spoke as far as wheel true is concerned. With a 16h wheel it'll probably go out of true, possibly enough that it's not rideable.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
As much as I have tried to stay upright, I've hit the deck a couple times over 30yrs of serious road and mtb riding. Sometimes $hit happens but replacing suspect components is one of the best ways to avoid injury. Cracked rims have to be near the top of that list.

Not just you but the rider behind you is affected by your gear.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Cracked rims = junk rims.

^^^This^^^

Seriously, you were actually thinking of putting your wife on these? Do you not like your wife?

If you like fat bladed spokes, why not build yourself a set of these with a higher spoke count. 24/28 is as low as I would ever go. IMHO, there is no significant weight or aero advantage to any less than this. You're talking about splitting hairs.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
For now, I just put the rim in question on my cx bike, as it doesn't get as much use and usually I am not going as fast on it. I might keep an eye out for a 16h rim or rebuilt it with nipple washers to buy some time.
Oh for heaven's sake, throw that thing away! It's not worth the risk to your health and safety! Small cracks eventually become bigger cracks. As cracks become larger, the loss of tension on those spokes will make them flex more, which eventually will cause fatigue and breakage. Remember, this is already a very low spoke wheel, so if one breaks, you are down to 15. And this is with a rim that already has multiple cracks, read=structurally compromised. Add to that if you are blasting down a hill at a high speed, can you say rim collapse? I hope you have good insurance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts