Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a non aero rim with off-set spoke holes to lace up with my Campy Record hub. This would be a clincher rim.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
campagnolo moskva 80.

·
Registered
372 Posts
We built up a very nice set of NOS Mavic MA-40's with Record hubs for my son's De Rosa Professional.

Grey anodized, and not so horrible for weight.

My son's a flyweight, and is all legs. The set should last awhile for him.

I'll dig up a pic of his if you want, but we are still riding in northern Minnesota and it will be a day or two before we return.

Here's one from Velobase. Not mine but similar!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help. I really like the Torelli rims. Problem is that they will not be selling them in the future. But, they are the same as the Ambrosio Excellence as I was told. I did locate them at Ital Tecno but they are on backorder. I can wait.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yep, the torelli triumph is a re-labeled Ambrosio Excellence. . ."Made for Torelli by Ambrosio" in fine print under the Torelli name.

I got mine from Yellow Jersey, you might check with them if you are interested. FWIW, I was also thinking about the uneven tension on the back hub (I laced to Campy hubs.) No issues with the tension whatsoever. They were a joy to true and have held that for the first 1000 miles of daily riding (including a few "sneak attack" potholes.) Great rims, made a wonderful set of wheels

·
Registered
303 Posts
Also look at the Velocity Razor and I'll also second the reccomendation on the Razor. If you can go with a mid-profile, I just built up a set up DT-Swiss RR-415 that ride beautifully.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
that 'grey ano' looks like crap after awhile in the brake tracks

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
zmudshark said:
What mode lDe Rosa?

I would ride tubs if I had a '96 De Rosa, like this:
Primato! Awful pic, but it's all I got for now. I'll have to search for a field of sunflowers to stand her in and then record her beauty. BTW, thats a sexy seat stay your bike has there. Tires look good too.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Looks a like like yours, apart from the color and size.

No chrome on mine, though.

Seriously, you cant beat the ride of tubulars, and theses days you can pick up nice rims fairly reasonably.

·
Registered
372 Posts
FatTireFred said:
that 'grey ano' looks like crap after awhile in the brake tracks

Really.

Let's see.

I have various Mavic GP4's with ano. No crap there.
I have Mavic MA40s with ano. No crap there.
I have Mavic Reflexs with ano. on two bikes. No crap there.

Most of the sets are 10 plus years old.
Several were raced for a season or two.

Here's a trick though if you are having "crap" issues!

Clean your bike, clean your wheels, clean your pads.

try 'er out!

edit: I will admit to godawful stickers/decals though. :)

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
gomango said:
Really.

Let's see.

I have various Mavic GP4's with ano. No crap there.
I have Mavic MA40s with ano. No crap there.
I have Mavic Reflexs with ano. on two bikes. No crap there.

Most of the sets are 10 plus years old.
Several were raced for a season or two.

Here's a trick though if you are having "crap" issues!

Clean your bike, clean your wheels, clean your pads.

try 'er out!

edit: I will admit to godawful stickers/decals though. :)

I've had a few pairs of wheels w/ those early 90s grey hard ano'ed, unmachined sidewall ma40s and reflex rims as well (your first pic, not the ceramic in the 2nd, which shows little wear). after awhile the brake tracks get worn in, meaning the ano wears off. sometimes unevenly at the seam or if the wheel has gotten out of true. I'd post pics, but I tossed those rims years ago. but iirc those rims- or at least that ano treatment- were gone by 1996

I was under the impression the op was actually going to ride his bike. no need to get bent outta shape just because my experience is not the same as yours

edit- take a look at the far right pic below, same exact rims, found via google on the www. you can prob guess which one is the front. imagine if it was not as 'worn through', i.e., some of the grey hard ano remained and it wasn't completely worn away. fancy unmachined deep v's used w/ brakes would be another example

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ambrosio Excellence Rims, they are the original version, not the rebranded Torellis, I have a pair of them in red, but they also exist in blue. I ordered them from Hungary at www.matuzmaster.hu, from Geoff, a trustworthy seller.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
matchmaker said:
Ambrosio Excellence Rims, they are the original version, not the rebranded Torellis, I have a pair of them in red, but they also exist in blue. I ordered them from Hungary at www.matuzmaster.hu, from Geoff, a trustworthy seller.
I am waiting for them to come in. I ordered silver. I think they will offer a nice retro look to my Primato. I always liked the high craftsmanship look of these hoops.

·
Registered
247 Posts
High Gear said:
I am waiting for them to come in. I ordered silver. I think they will offer a nice retro look to my Primato. I always liked the high craftsmanship look of these hoops.
Silver will indeed look very nice on your Primato. The red ones look great on my Colnago painted in the same Saronni color, but I am wondering which tires to put on them once the yellow-lined ones I unfortunately had to put on them will be worn (I took them off another wheelset as there was still some good life in them and for some reason the bike shops over here are depleted and don't have a single decent tire in another color than yellow, orange or blue in stock. Not even a simple black tire.) . I am thinking of some Vittoria Zaffiros, either in red or just plain black. I think red on red might be a little over the top.

Anyway, the silver will combine very well with the frame and allows you to choose whatever color of tire you like, without it being too busy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts