Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing rim tape for my HED C2 - and LBS tried to argue that I need 17mm and not 21mm. I insisted on the 21 but when I got home I compared it to the tape the builder used - Velox - but it seemed like just a mm under - is there a 20mm version?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
21mm tape on a 17.5 mm rim. I prefer Stan's but others work equally well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My Ardennes Plus rims were only wrapped one layer with the HED tubeless tape. I guess the LBS didn't read the instructions. It's supposed to be 2 layers. After almost 2 years, the tape sagged enough at the spoke holes to cause a slow leak in my tube.

The LBS is out of town, so I got some Velox locally. It really didn't work at all, it creeped sideways on the rim and wouldn't stay in place. And it interfered with the tire bead seating, too. (I rode it for a few weeks though.)

I got some WTB TCS tubeless tape, 24mm. It says to use one layer, and I see that it's much heavier tape. The single layer went on easily and didn't sag or creep. Recommended. It's a lot less expensive than HED tape. The HED tape is about 1 mm wider than the WTB tape, but the WTB tape still went bead seat to bead seat.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I use Stan's 21mm on one set of HED Belgiums with Continental 4000's in 25 mm and latex tubes and Velox 22mm on another set using Continentals or PRO4 endurance 25 mm tires. and buty or latex tubes. All tires go on the rim without levers.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
I used 16mm Velox on my HED C2s. I did have to zigzag it a bit, but it works fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.