Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting a lot of mystery flats lately and decided to change the rim tape since it is the original factory "nylon strips" that came with the bike three years ago. My flats always seem to come from the rim side. I noticed that the spoke holes in the rim do appear to be causing my problem. I have purchased some “Velox” rim tape to replace the factory garbage that is on my rims now. So my question is, do I overlap the ends or do I pull nice and snug and butt the two ends evenly next to each other?

The factory job overlapped at the stem hole, but I’m not sure if this is the correct thing to do.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

Velox tape works great, but it is on the thick side, which can make tires a bit tougher to install on some rims. There is no reason to overlap the excess, it only adds to the problem and could even interfere with the bead seating properly. The purpose of the tape is to cover the nipple holes, so just butt the ends.

·
Super Moderator
40,808 Posts
slyjackson said:
I have been getting a lot of mystery flats lately and decided to change the rim tape since it is the original factory "nylon strips" that came with the bike three years ago. My flats always seem to come from the rim side. I noticed that the spoke holes in the rim do appear to be causing my problem. I have purchased some “Velox” rim tape to replace the factory garbage that is on my rims now. So my question is, do I overlap the ends or do I pull nice and snug and butt the two ends evenly next to each other?

The factory job overlapped at the stem hole, but I’m not sure if this is the correct thing to do.
Seems like I read somewhere that you did need to overlap the strip, but I haven't the foggiest idea why, other than it probably doesn't matter either way, and by overlapping, you skip the risk of cutting the tape too short. Every wheel I've ever uncovered had them overlapped.

In the interest of less work, why bother?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I cut and snip after the ends come together at the stem hole. I don't overlap. Never had a problem with mounting tires with Velox. I replaced my Velox with some plastic rim tape I bought at Performance years ago after digging it out of my tool box. When you pull the old rim tape off, go around the inside of you rim with some fine grade sandpaper. Might be a burr in there somewhere.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I overlap at the valve stem hole for perhaps a little bit of extra protection at the tube's valve stem.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
it can't

if the rim tape, even overlapping it, interfers with the bead sealing of the tire, the rim tape is too wide. If it's the proper width it can't matter or have any effect on sealing the bead (unless of course you wrap the tire about 10 times)..... Note: you cannot trip the tape to fit, it will unravel and expose the spoke hole.
C-40 said:
Velox tape works great, but it is on the thick side, which can make tires a bit tougher to install on some rims. There is no reason to overlap the excess, it only adds to the problem and could even interfere with the bead seating properly. The purpose of the tape is to cover the nipple holes, so just butt the ends.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You posted this in Bike Forums as well. My answer stays the same: I bring the ends together but don't overlap. It doesn't matter if you do or don't overlap. It's really a moot point.

Happy Trails! And get some Kevlar-belted tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts