·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Cloth (Velox):
Pros:
  • Cheap
  • Lasts a long time
  • Will not stretch or get thin
  • Stays put between rim walls (adhesive)
Cons:
  • Not water resistant (can get pretty nasty after a few rain rides)
  • Not reusable usually
  • Thickness can make mounting tires just a little bit harder
Plastic:
Pros:
  • Thin
  • Light
  • Cheap
  • Reusable
Cons:
  • Most will dry out and split
  • A stray spoke end can eventually poke through
  • If not right width, can slide to the side, exposing eyelets (sharp)
  • Can stretch over time, and not fit well
Go with cloth. This is not an item you want to take chances with. Once you install the cloth, you usually don't ever have to worry about it again unless you need to get a nipple out of the rim hole.

Mike

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Velox is hard to beat but...

my last couple sets of wheels I've used Ritchey's snap on rim strip. It's basically like a big rubber band (except made of fabric) that you stretch a little to snap onto you rim. several thousand miles with no real issues and much lighter then Velox plus no sticky residue....

I'll ditto the sentiments about the Pedros rim strips above. They work VERY poorly...

Finally, I know a bunch of people that use 3M packing tape with good success. My only issue with it is that it leaves a pretty nasty residue on the rim when you take it off...

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I know a bunch of people that use 3M packing tape with good success. My only issue with it is that it leaves a pretty nasty residue on the rim when you take it off...

I've used 3M for years with no negatives. It's so light, strong and cheap. Keith Bontrager was wrong when he said you can never have all three.

The residue is removable with lacquer thinners.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Is this the stuff with strong fibers?

Great idea, I will give it a try. I am cheap and run some fairly high pressures at times in my wheels. The stapping tape should be stronger the the Velox tape and the price is right. 60 yards for a couple of bucks.

I learned something new today. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't use rim tape. I've had better luck without.

I once installed the velox cloth and flatted twice in a week. Took it out, and didn't flat the whole season. I just use the rubber nipple guard. I also used a tape that was similar to packing tape(maybe it was), and that worked equally as well(maybe the best). Don't know what it was because it came with the wheels. After about 2 years it looked crappy so I took it out.

My experience with cloth was a disaster. Maybe it's my wheels or how I installed it.

Thanks John

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Pros and cons to everything

weltyed said:
i have only used cloth rim tape, but i see there is plastic rim tape out there. what are the pros and cons of each?
Cloth tapes sometime shift, causing flats in the eyelets. Also a tight rim-tire combo is usually made impossible, I had to switch one set to Michelins so that i wouldn't break any more levers getting tires off.

I have a set of Jamis OEM wheels with a permanent sticky tape (like packing tape) on them, and they seem to be flawless.

If you use Michelin tapes, just make sure that they fit very good. If your rim allows for it to sit crooked, go to cloth or something else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.