Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enough comic relief, the skewer post was a joke, I am studying for a real estate exam on Thursday and needed to break it up with some ridiculousness. I thought it was over the top enough, at least Zen got it:p .

Out of anywhere on the bike this would seem to be the most important/meaningful place to loose weight. When it is reduced, how much of a reduction is necessary to be noticeable/worth the cash out lay? I mean is 50g noticeable? 100g, 200g? I would think it would have be at least 100g+ to be meaningful. This I guess is part of the benefit of tubulars. Also I guess durability starts becoming an issue as the weight is reduced.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find any specs. on what I am currently using, campy nucleons, so it is hard to know how big of a weight difference there would be between what I have now and what would go on.

The Shimano RS80, with a 380g rim seems like it is a value leader as you can get them from CRC new, shipped for $450ish, when they are in stock.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mdmoore99 said:
>Out of anywhere on the bike this would seem to be the most important/meaningful place to loose weight

The rider
Great answer(?) but at 5'10" 163 I'm not really looking to loose anymore weight.

·
Registered
270 Posts
However, the standard for the new Shimano wheelsets is 16 spokes for the front, and 20 spokes for the rear wheel. The spokes must be 14 gauge or something larger, like the top-of-the-line Kyrsiums. Mavic uses bladed aluminum spokes, Trying to get a spare Zircon (that's what Mavic calls them) is pretty near impossible. And they're not that light - I was expecting somewhere close to the high 1300's or low 1400's in gram weight.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
"The Shimano RS80, with a 380g rim seems like it is a value leader as you can get them from CRC new, shipped for $450ish, when they are in stock."

Kind of pricey for a 380 gram rim.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cmg said:
"The Shimano RS80, with a 380g rim seems like it is a value leader as you can get them from CRC new, shipped for $450ish, when they are in stock."

Kind of pricey for a 380 gram rim.

That's for the wheelset, not just the rim

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
mdmoore99 said:
>Out of anywhere on the bike this would seem to be the most important/meaningful place to loose weight - The rider
As my son used to say to me "Dad, it does as much good as a good spit." And he was usually right.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
For massive criterium style accelerations an extra 200g of wheel weight will cost you 2-3 watts during the acceleration. For example, that 200g will call for about a total of 12 extra joules of energy accelerating from 25mph to 35mph. If you push it really hard and make that acceleration in 4 seconds (pretty darn fast), that equals about 12 / 4 = 3 watts during that acceleration. For more drawn out accelerations, or ones that are not as extreme, the difference becomes much smaller.

Next time someone buys a very light weight well and brags about how much faster it accelerates, remind them they're probably full of shitez!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts