Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I work through my existing tub spares I'm thinking of going to the wider/lower pressure route. So, I just want to confirm one thing. I have an older set of tubular rims. The width is what ever the standard was in the mid 2000's. 20, 21 mm? So the question is. Is there any technical/safety issue mounting a 25mm tire on this width rim?

Thanks for your help.

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
No problem. Many riders are still using rims like this with 33mm cyclocross tires and low pressure. Since cross tires use much lower air pressure than road tires they need the absolute best glue job. One should always glue tires properly, but the high pressure of road tires holds tires on the rim much better than cross tires.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
No problem. Many riders are still using rims like this with 33mm cyclocross tires and low pressure. Since cross tires use much lower air pressure than road tires they need the absolute best glue job. One should always glue tires properly, but the high pressure of road tires holds tires on the rim much better than cross tires.
Yup. Cross racers have been using "standard" width tubular rims for many decades, regardless of what that standard width was. Absolutely not an issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts