Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the 100% alloy market and wondering how much quality and function can go into an alloy?

It seems like the going rate is around 100usd a rim. And you cannot spend too much more.

Am I missing a specialized market or this is just the exclusion of composites?

·
Registered
982 Posts
What you are probably seeing is at $100 you are at the point of diminishing returns.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What you are probably seeing is at $100 you are at the point of diminishing returns.
Could you please detail that out? Most of the alloy rims only max out around 100usd (140usd is the upper end). When you are trying to run eddy currents and want as much metal as possible, then what is diminishing at the 100usd price point?

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
I think it would be better for you to elaborate on you needs before a proper discussion can be had. Buying rims simply on price isn't wise. Sometimes the most expensive rim isn't the best for the job, sometimes it is.

No rim I can think of is priced according to amount of metal so you can have a strong eddy current to run your light.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it would be better for you to elaborate on you needs before a proper discussion can be had. Buying rims simply on price isn't wise. Sometimes the most expensive rim isn't the best for the job, sometimes it is.

No rim I can think of is priced according to amount of metal so you can have a strong eddy current to run your light.
3 things I need the rims to do:
1. have no carbon to provide enough metal (sure some composites may work but no reason to test that).
2. wheels need to be stiff to climb
3. wheels need reasonable rolling efficiencies

I bought wheels spec'd for me that were areo, light weight, fast but soft as butter. After some serious climbs, they seemed less and less true. I would like to blame the hub axle and lack of spokes with possibly reasonable rims (but these were deep rims, I'm light, and thus cross winds were needless hazards).

I know carbon could solve many of my issues but I would like to use these lights that need an eddy current to operate.

I would believe the pacenti sl23 version 2 (2015?) would be my cup of tea in that they would work. Yet what I have not done is completely any research other than understand a bit of material science. I understand I am skipping out on lacing options that could save costs (fewer spokes, cooler spoke designs) but I would like to climb. Which a traditional lacing pattern makes this possible (it would be akin to trying to use a TT bike as a commuter in NYC).

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
i think you might like the DT 440 rims. Get the spoke count that suits your weight and road conditions, maybe even up the spoke count by 4 for each wheel for good measure.

The metal used on those rims seems to resist denting from impact more than some other rims. They aren't as flashy as other options, but they are solid performers if the rest of the build is sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.