Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a Lynskey Urbansky with Gravel Pro Fork. I have thru axels in the rear (12 x 142) and front (15 x ?), I need to build the bike up. I'll be using disc brakes. I'm planning on doing some light touring (I'm light 140 lbs) with 50lbs or less of gear. I would like road handlebars. The problem I'm having is the road groupsets I've looked at (105 or Ultegra with hydraulic disc-I'm leaning towards 105's) are 11 speed and few hubs 12 x 142 TA will accommodated such cassettes. I'm also wondering if due to the wider axel if I'll have any trouble with chain angle in the low gears.

Are their other options or things I should thing about for my build ? Any other groupsets to consider ?
I'm thinking DT Swiss 350 hubs which will work (I think) with Shimano 11 speeds.
I'm not settled on rims--maybe Kinlin XT31 ( ? asymmetric or regular for the rear), Mavic Open Pro, H Plus Son Archtype,
I'm thinking 32 spoke count rear, 28 front.

Any advice would be appreciated. I plan on building slowly, taking my time to optimize build...

Thanks !!!

Anyone have experience with Kinlin XT31 tubeless if I decide to go that route ? Should Velocity rims be on my list ?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
The axle spacing won't bother your chainline for whatever road groupset you want to use.

Lots of hubs to 142mm rear and 15x100 or 110 front. It is just a question of what your budget is and what rotor style you want.

BUT...are you wanting to do panniers or just bike packing? Lynskey used the cheapest Ti dropouts they could probably get...and resorted to putting the rack mounts in EXACTLY the wrong place (not above the axle but in front of it....meaning very few racks will work on the GR250 and Urbansky without resulting in heel strike. I think only the Salsa Alternator rack might work, and that is it short of custom fabricating something.

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
Since your disc hubs will have asymmetrical flanges I recommend asymmetrical rims when they meet your other requirements. I don't have any experience with the Kinless tubeless rims, but they look like they have the correct inner shape for tubeless setup. The Pacenti Forza rim I do have experience with and it builds excellent and works tubeless excellent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The axle spacing won't bother your chainline for whatever road groupset you want to use.

Lots of hubs to 142mm rear and 15x100 or 110 front. It is just a question of what your budget is and what rotor style you want.

BUT...are you wanting to do panniers or just bike packing? Lynskey used the cheapest Ti dropouts they could probably get...and resorted to putting the rack mounts in EXACTLY the wrong place (not above the axle but in front of it....meaning very few racks will work on the GR250 and Urbansky without resulting in heel strike. I think only the Salsa Alternator rack might work, and that is it short of custom fabricating something.
Thanks I'll look into that rack !

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
Since your disc hubs will have asymmetrical flanges I recommend asymmetrical rims when they meet your other requirements. I don't have any experience with the Kinless tubeless rims, but they look like they have the correct inner shape for tubeless setup. The Pacenti Forza rim I do have experience with and it builds excellent and works tubeless excellent.
Are asymmetrical rims even necessary on a disc brake bike? Doesn't the disc even out the tension disparity caused by the freehub?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
just bought a Lynskey Urbansky with Gravel Pro Fork. I have thru axels in the rear (12 x 142) and front (15 x ?), I need to build the bike up. I'll be using disc brakes. I'm planning on doing some light touring (I'm light 140 lbs) with 50lbs or less of gear. I would like road handlebars. The problem I'm having is the road groupsets I've looked at (105 or Ultegra with hydraulic disc-I'm leaning towards 105's) are 11 speed and few hubs 12 x 142 TA will accommodated such cassettes. I'm also wondering if due to the wider axel if I'll have any trouble with chain angle in the low gears.

Are their other options or things I should thing about for my build ? Any other groupsets to consider ?
I'm thinking DT Swiss 350 hubs which will work (I think) with Shimano 11 speeds.
I'm not settled on rims--maybe Kinlin XT31 ( ? asymmetric or regular for the rear), Mavic Open Pro, H Plus Son Archtype,
I'm thinking 32 spoke count rear, 28 front.

Any advice would be appreciated. I plan on building slowly, taking my time to optimize build...

Thanks !!!

Anyone have experience with Kinlin XT31 tubeless if I decide to go that route ? Should Velocity rims be on my list ?
I would scratch Mavic and Velocity from your list as quality control is lacking. The H+Son Archetype is an excellent rim as well as the Kinlins.

The DT Swiss 350 hub will work. Another good choice is the White Industries CLD:

CLD — White Industries

1 - 6 of 6 Posts