Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently 240 pounds. I am riding on Fulcrum Racing Zeros. I think I might be a tad to heavy for these rims. If so, what rims do you guys recommend for an overweight guy like me. Note: at my leanest I and between 190 and 200 pounds.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I assume you mean wheels rather than rims?

My suggestion is to contact a wheelbuilder and get some wheels built that will hold up. 32 or 36 spokes, a high end up like White Industries, and maybe the HED Ardennes rim.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Personally I would go 36 spokes all the way around. What's the purpose of using 4 less spokes on the front wheel? To save weight? If he uses DT Competition spokes he would only be saving about 24 grams and giving up a little less truing that a stronger 36 wheel would provide. In the light of a 240 pound man on a 18 pound bike for about 260 pounds total, the weight savings of the 4 less spokes is less then 1%, more accurately it's .02 percent savings!!! Is that miniscule amount of weight savings really going to be noticed? Not at all, but the reliability of the wheel will be noticed with more frequent truing.

It's just my lousy opinion.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Digger51;4261803[U said:
]I am currently 240 pounds. I am riding on Fulcrum Racing Zeros. [/U]I think I might be a tad to heavy for these rims. If so, what rims do you guys recommend for an overweight guy like me. Note: at my leanest I and between 190 and 200 pounds.

Thanks
How long have you been riding on the Racing Zeros? Did you have any wheel out of true problem? if there is no problem, why bother? for the sake of spending money, just buy custom built 32+ spokes wheel, they will support your weight very well.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Open Pro rims + Ultegra hubs + DT spokes = your answer. Trainable, raceable, good value and almost can't be destroyed. All things considered for most people there is still no better wheel set around - imho.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
It's just my lousy opinion.
Nothing wrong with that. But most people (however misguided) seem to be on a "low spoke" kick for the past few years. Some of us know, for the reasons most buyers buy low-spoke wheels, it doesn't make one iota of noticeable difference. But more spokes do make for a stronger wheel, that is a fact.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
It depends on the rider and the stress they put on their wheels. If the 240# rider is a diesel (smooth rider, no stomping, gradual speed changes), then they will defy what other consider to be an insufficient strength wheel. I've been at 240 on Zondas with no issues and broken a spoke on a 36H Chorus/Open Sport wheel. I like traditional spoke wheels because they are easily repaired and trued, but the Campy and Fulcrum factory wheels are very durable.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Digger, I know nothing about the Fulcrum Zero wheels, but I have ridden Mavic Aksiums for the last 6 years and have never had a problem at all, no broken spokes, no real truing issues, I just ride them and never worry. I typically hover in the 235-245 range, 6' 2". The nice thing about the Aksiums is you can run a Campy cassette or Shimano cassette just by changing out the free hub body, can't do that with Ultegra hubs, they also look nice and somewhat light weight.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How long have you been riding on the Racing Zeros? Did you have any wheel out of true problem? if there is no problem, why bother? for the sake of spending money, just buy custom built 32+ spokes wheel, they will support your weight very well.
I have been riding them for a year. I have no problems until I climb and I get some pinging from the spokes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am 5'9" and 193 pounds. About 2 years ago, I switched two bikes from 32-spoke rims to Shimano WH-7850-SL, which are 16/20 spokes. Shimano advertises there is no weight limit for these wheels. Except for a damaged rim from a bad accident (resulting in having to send my steel frame for repair), I have had no problems with either set.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A few years back I had gotten off the back and gained a bunch of weight. I topped at 295. When I dropped the first twenty I got some Racing Zeros. I put several thousand miles on those wheels. I lost all the weight I'd put on and still have those wheels. They are now a backup wheelset and I love them. Never broke a spoke, rarely had to true them. As a former super-Clyde, this things aren't as delicate as we all like to think.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am currently 240 pounds. I am riding on Fulcrum Racing Zeros. I think I might be a tad to heavy for these rims. If so, what rims do you guys recommend for an overweight guy like me. Note: at my leanest I and between 190 and 200 pounds.

Thanks
DT makes a wheelset called the RR-1850. They're 24&20h with dt aero spokes, dt aluminum aero(ish) rims and dt 240 hubs. They may not be cheap, but good luck EVER killing a set of these. They ride awsome as well!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Mavic Equipe are rediculous strong. You can find them on Nashbar.com many times for a fraction of the cost.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.