Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Milwaukee orange frame and all of the components to build up my first fixed gear. I'm just now getting around to the build after having the wheels finally ready. When I bought the frame, I had Ben's Cycles install a sugino superlap 109 mm bottom bracket. I also bought the sugino 75 gold crankset. when I put the crankset on the bottom bracket, the chainring rubs against the chainstay. Am I doing something wrong in installing? This is my first build so that's certainly possible. I'm not able to download pics to illustrate but if anyone wants to see, send a pm. Thanks for any advice.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, I don't have calipers. I got a magnifying glass and printed on the side is 1.37x24.
I'll bet you're correct, they installed the wrong size. Now I have to contact them and hopefully they'll either send the correct size. Then I'll have to pay to have the old one removed and correct size installed then mail the wrong one back. Or send the entire frame back and have them install the correct size. what a mess. Thanks for your help.
I'm off to send an email to Steve at Ben's Cycles.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
runningdud said:
no, I don't have calipers. I got a magnifying glass and printed on the side is 1.37x24.
I'll bet you're correct, they installed the wrong size. Now I have to contact them and hopefully they'll either send the correct size. Then I'll have to pay to have the old one removed and correct size installed then mail the wrong one back. Or send the entire frame back and have them install the correct size. what a mess. Thanks for your help.
I'm off to send an email to Steve at Ben's Cycles.

send them a pic... their mistake, they should pay for all shipping or an install by your lbs

· hello
3,395 Posts
Just lay a metric ruler along the bottom of the bottom bracket shell. You should be able to eyeball whether the spindle is 103 or 109mm.

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Go get a bottom braket tool and a Crescent wrench. A bb install is one of the easiest things to do on a bike. Just grease the threads, make sure you don't cross thread, hand tighten as far as possible and crank it down the rest of the way with the bb tool. It's literally a 2 minute job. It's no more difficult than installing a spark plug or light bulb.

Bens should send you a new BB and pay for shipping. My guess is that they'll tell you to keep the old one. It will cost more to ship it back than it's worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.