Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
"as we leave the Moon at Taurus- Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. Godspeed the crew of Apollo 17."

He flew as a pilot and engineer, and he and his geologist crewmate Harrison Schmitt did more serious science than any of the previous missions. But the experience was a real spiritual epiphany for Cernan, as well.

Forehead Audio equipment Service Gadget Space

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Happy to say I was able to meet him and the crew of Apollo 17 at the Boy Scout Jamboree as an awestruck 12 year old. Godspeed Mr. Cernan.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
Sad to hear.

Neat, humble, gentleman. You will be missed sir.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
"as we leave the Moon at Taurus- Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. Godspeed the crew of Apollo 17."

He flew as a pilot and engineer, and he and his geologist crewmate Harrison Schmitt did more serious science than any of the previous missions. But the experience was a real spiritual epiphany for Cernan, as well.

View attachment 317673
That's a great picture. In all the tons and tons of Apollo pics I've seen over the years, I've never seen one with moon dirt all over the spacesuit and moon dirt fingerprints on the walls of the LEM.

Something about that picture, more than any other I've seen, puts me there, inside that fragile craft, relying on a limited store of oxygen, depending on so many mechanical parts and operations to get home safely, with death on the moon or in space a very possible outcome of the mission.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
That IS a neat pic.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
That's a great picture. In all the tons and tons of Apollo pics I've seen over the years, I've never seen one with moon dirt all over the spacesuit and moon dirt fingerprints on the walls of the LEM.

Something about that picture, more than any other I've seen, puts me there, inside that fragile craft, relying on a limited store of oxygen, depending on so many mechanical parts and operations to get home safely, with death on the moon or in space a very possible outcome of the mission.
Yeah, they got seriously dirty riding around in their little car, kicking up the moondust. And the 5-day beard certainly adds to the hard-working-man effect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts