Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
chainsuck victim. such a short career. bunch of centuries, one ms150, one double.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Duck Tape & Ebay

A little duck tape and a lot of "salesmanship" on ebay and you will have enough money to buy a new one. Use words like "normal chain wear" and "gray composite rear stay protector" in your ad.

But all kidding aside. You may be surprised to find what folks are willing to spend even if you post the frame with full disclosure and your close up photos.

Sorry for your loss, my she rest in peace.

·
Administrator
12,952 Posts
Daaaaammmmmmnnnnnn!

That's a bummer!!

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
Ya know....

.... just about the time I start thinking seriously about getting a carbon bike I see something like that.

Sorry about the chainsuck, chainsuck becomes walletsuck.

I wonder if that's a warranty issue?????

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've had that happen to all of my bikes , so no carbon for me?

But all of my bikes are alu. Last it happened was on my fixed gear, spinning at 150+, dropped the chain. Talk about chain suck!

This is one of the reasons I hesitate to get a carbon bike. Wear and tear on a carbon bike can signal the end of it's riding life. I'm still test riding them but even if I find the one sweet ride this would be the thing holding me back from getting one. Am I being too paranoid?

Anyways, sorry for the incident and your loss.

hrv

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i won't have another carbon bike.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Send the photos to Look and see what they say about it's repariability. They're the only ones I'd trust to do a repair, if it's at all possible. Worth the cost of an email!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
J's Haiku Shop said:
chainsuck victim. such a short career. bunch of centuries, one ms150, one double.
Did you flush it down the toilet after you took that picture?

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
DAMN! chainsuck??? looks more like CHAINSAW!

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Sleek Carbon fiber

J's Haiku Shop said:
Sleek carbon fiber
Snarling steel chain takes a bite
J needs a new bike

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,418 Posts
Fiber-glass repair, sand, paint, and ebay.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wall art nm

expensive, fast wall art

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I've been thinking about the same thing....

J's Haiku Shop said:
I have not ventured into the world of CF yet, but I'm standing on the doorstep. Got my eye on a '04 Bianchi Virata, it has CF seat and chain stays. I fear chain sawing the stays more than crashing, however I have come to the conclusion when I buy that bike before I even throw a leg over it as the owner, I'm putting one of the anti chainsuck chain watcher thingies on. Recently saw a pic of a pro road rider climbing and sure enough, he had one of those gizmos. If it works and saves my frame just once I think it has more than paid for itself. I'm actually surprised more CF riders don't have them, roadies in general for that matter. I keep my bikes well tuned, but it can/does still happen.

G

·
Fiberglass Repair??

I think not on that beautiful frame.. only a carbon fiber patch will be sufficient. Stronger, lighter, carbon fiber.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
J's Haiku Shop said:
Bummer J,

Great close up photos tho. Thanks for the reminder on CF. Chainsuck (like shiht) happens.

RW

·
Registered
237 Posts
J's Haiku Shop said:
Did you use a BB protecter ring or chain suck protection device like the Third Eye?I actually own the same frame-not built yet from Chuck and want to avoid this fate for my frame.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Condolences

J's Haiku Shop said:

Please accept my sincerest condolences on the passing of your loved one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts