Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oscar-winning composer, he did some legendary scores back in the day.

Dead at 84.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Wow, that is indeed a great loss. Add to that the score from "The Dead Poets Society"

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
He taught his son well

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jd3 said:
He taught his son well
No doubt. I wonder what he initially thought of his son's foray into electronic music ...

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,282 Posts
In Today's L.A. Times, it is said that Maurice Jarre's score for Witness was entirely electronic.

Last night on KUSC radio, Jim Svejda replayed an interview he made with Maurice Jarre about six months ago. Svejda started off by saying that there's no controversy as to what is the greatest film ever made. It's Lawrence of Arabia.

Svejda went on to say that even if only the first half of Lawrence of Arabia had been made, it still would have been the best. The second half, though, means that not only is Lawrence the greatest film ever made, it's the greatest film that will ever be made.

Jarre could only chuckle.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mapei said:
In Today's L.A. Times, it is said that Maurice Jarre's score for Witness was entirely electronic.
Yeah, I saw that. But I still wonder if, way back in the day, he took electronica seriously. And I wonder if there was a tinge of rebellion in Jean-Michel's early electronic work.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Yeah, he definetely had a son who was more than a chip off the old block really.

Interestingly I recently got to hear some early pre-Oxygene Jean Michel Jarre
bootlegs when he was first getting into synthesizers and it's ALMOST but not
quite hilarious, french vocalists scatting over quasi-techno backing (live bass
guitar and live drumming) with his synth playing in the foreground. Kind of
rough production but a glimmer of what was to come.

I think think parts of Oxygene are eloquent even if the synths he used are a bit
dated now, heck, that was 1977 right? Wow.

RIP Maurice.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aliensporebomb said:
I think think parts of Oxygene are eloquent even if the synths he used are a bit dated now, heck, that was 1977 right?
+1  

1 - 10 of 10 Posts