Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
He was only 46. Never a fan but you don't like to see the guy going this early. The video obit on this link pretty well sums him up, including the infamous "pu$$y" quote at 2:20.

Former Toronto mayor Rob Ford dead at age 46 | CP24.com

[Rob Ford, the long-time Toronto politician who became known for his personal troubles as much as his penny-pinching ways on city council, has died at the age of 46.
Ford passed away early Tuesday at Mount Sinai Hospital following a battle with a rare and aggressive form of soft tissue cancer known as pleomorphic liposarcoma.
A larger-than-life personality who once famously called himself “300 pounds of fun,” Ford was first elected as city councillor for Ward 2 in 2000. As a rookie politician, Ford built a name for himself by railing against councillor office budgets, using his own money to pay for his expenses and giving his cellphone number out to any constituent that needed his help.

Controversy, however, was never far behind. He was often accused of making offensive speeches on the floor of council, on one occasion calling Italian-Canadian councillor Giorgio Mammoliti a “Gino boy” and on another speaking out against donating money to AIDS research because “If you are not doing needles and you are not gay” you won’t get the disease.

Ford was also forced to deliver more than his share of apologies.
In 2006, he apologized for drunkenly accosting two fans at a Maple Leafs game after initially denying that he was even at the arena. Later as a mayoral candidate he came clean about a 1999 impaired driving arrest. Through it all, his popularity only seemed to rise.

"He evokes a sympathy that is unique," former councillor Karen Stintz once told The Canadian Press. "People continue to forgive his indiscretions because they identify with him or feel sympathy with him." A people’s politician Ford was not the most eloquent politician but what he lacked in polish he made up for with a unique ability to connect with people. From regular visits to crumbling Toronto Community Housing buildings to personally returning phone calls from constituents seeking his help in getting a pothole fixed, Ford was someone who always seemed to have time for Torontonians.

By the time he was elected mayor by a landslide in 2010, Ford had in fact become a working class hero of sorts, telling an estimated 5,000 people at his victory celebration that they had together built a coalition of voters to “put an end to wasteful spending” and “respect the taxpayers' money."
As the city’s chief magistrate, Ford then helped wipe out a controversial vehicle registration tax, got the TTC designated an essential service, privatized garbage collection west of Yonge Street and obtained major concessions in labour negotiations with two unions representing municipal workers. He also successfully convinced council to abandon a light-rail transit plan in favour of an underground subway for Scarborough, famously proclaiming that the people want “subways, subways, subways” during one impassioned speech.
What set Ford apart from other politicians wasn’t his policies, though. It was the brand he tirelessly cultivated.

Despite his upbringing as the son of a wealthy businessman and Progressive Conservative party backbencher, Ford successfully portrayed himself as a regular guy and spoke out against the “downtown elites” that he claimed had an outsized role in Toronto politics. Each summer, he’d throw a barbecue at his mother’s house dubbed Ford Fest and invite Torontonians far and wide. Out in public, he’d never refuse a request for a photo, sometimes creating a minor disturbance as dozens of people at whatever event he was attending lined up to meet him.

“I am not an international celebrity,” Ford once told viewers of his short-lived YouTube program. “I’m an average hard-working guy that goes to work every day, comes home to their family, takes my kids out, and supports my wife and family.”

Crack scandal.
If his term had ended after two years Ford’s time in office may have been remembered for his unique brand of retail politics and the increased focus on cost-cutting that he brought to city hall.
Instead, Ford is more likely to be remembered for the scandal that erupted in 2013 when the Toronto Star and Gawker printed a story detailing a video in which Ford was seen smoking crack cocaine with alleged members of the Dixon City Bloods.
The story and the circus that ensued soon became international news.
There was a seemingly endless supply of video footage showing Ford in various states of inebriation, stories of him drinking in his office and being drunk in public, allegations of him cavorting with gang members and a police investigation that ultimately culminated in charges against Ford’s friend and occasional driver for his alleged attempts to recover the video using extortion.
As the story grew, Ford continuously denied having any sort of substance abuse problem and waged war of words against the Toronto Star for printing the stories.
That all changed in November, 2013 when Ford walked out of an elevator, greeted the throng of reporters that had become accustomed to parking outside his office and said the words that many Torontonians were waiting months to hear – “Yes, I have smoked crack cocaine”
What followed was one of the weirdest periods in Toronto political history.
Ford refused to seek professional help and his already erratic behavior grew even stranger, eventually prompting council to take the unprecedented step of transferring most of his powers and office budget to Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly.
Marginalized at council, Ford only became a bigger celebrity on late night television, where his antics were often used as punchlines by the likes of Jimmy Kimmel, John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.
Then on April 30, 2014, nearly a year after the Star and Gawker’s initial stories, it all came to a head when a pair of embarrassing stories, one detailing another alleged video showing Ford smoking crack cocaine, were published.
Ford took a leave of absence, announced that he would enter rehab and wasn’t seen again for months.

A changed man
Ford emerged from rehab a seemingly different man, admitting for the first time that he suffered from alcoholism and vowing to stay clean for the good of both his family and those he represented at city hall.
In no time, he had thrown himself into the rigors of a mayoral campaign and though at first he trailed Olivia Chow and John Tory in the polls his numbers soon began to rise, making one of the most unlikely political comebacks imaginable suddenly seem possible.
There would be no storybook ending.
Two months before election day, Ford was diagnosed with cancer, forcing him to withdraw from the mayoral race and run instead for his former seat on council instead so he could focus on a battle that would consume the final year of his life.
“With the love and support of my family, my friends and the people of Toronto — I know I will beat this terrible disease,” Ford said at the time, in a statement he wrote from his hospital bed. “I am determined to face this head on and return strong for my family and for my city.

Ford’s legacy
It’s impossible to forecast how Ford will ultimately be remembered other than to say that he undoubtedly will be.
He was a flawed man, something he never denied and sometimes embraced, but he was also someone that unquestionably loved being in politics and appeared to truly care about those he represented, whether they were likely to vote for him or not.
He was also a fighter, who put his head down and took on political foes, addiction and a deadly disease as if they were opponents on a football field, never admitting defeat.
“Live every day to the fullest,” Ford told reporters in October after announcing that his cancer had returned. “If you get something done, do it. I sleep eight hours a day, the rest of the time I return phone calls, I help people out and I do whatever my kids want to do and whatever my wife wants to do.”
Ford is survived by his wife Renata and his young children Doug Jr. and Stephanie.
/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Believe me, both as a Toronto resident and as someone who had served the City, I was never happy with anything about him.

Nevertheless he was human with some very human failings. From everything I have read it would be alcohol rather than crack that was his primary abuse problem.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,155 Posts
Whew, I thought it was the guy from Judas Priest.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
One less crack head, guy was a loser. Made Toronto the laughing stock of the globe.
Don't you mean "One fewer crack-head. The guy was a loser. Made Toronto slightly less boring."

·
Registered
456 Posts
Don't you mean "One fewer crack-head. The guy was a loser. Made Toronto slightly less boring."
He wore on his shoulder what most try to hide in their closet. Not a fan of his style but there was no trying to interpret his message like the vast majority of politicians. RIP Rob Ford

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
One less crack head, guy was a loser. Made Toronto the laughing stock of the globe.
Only because the media bullied him. The same ones that shame others for bullying. He was a human being with a family and if what was said about him was done to another addict the world would be outraged at the insensitivity.

The media was so relentless on him and his family about his drug addiction that they neglected to state what made him a good politician. He cared about the little guy in Toronto. He made it his policy to return calls, unlike most politicians and that matters to people.

Rob Ford gave his all to Toronto | BATRA | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

But what a lot of people don’t know – or don’t want to remember – is that Rob Ford, first as a councillor and then as mayor, gave everything he had to his constituents when they asked for his help.

The mom who couldn’t get a pothole fixed outsider her house had a friend in Rob Ford. Ditto the dad who called in to complain his garbage hadn’t been picked up.

Ford, first as a councillor, and later as mayor, would assemble the necessary staff to fix the problem — which often drove the staff crazy — and get it done.

It all sounds so simple, but these are the things that matter to ordinary people in their daily lives.

And because it mattered to them, it mattered to Ford, who wanted to matter to the people who elected him.
There will always be those who refuse to see Ford as anything more than an addict, a liar, a racist, a homophobe and a bully.

But none of that accurately describes Rob Ford.

He was the only councillor that held town hall meeting for Toronto Community Housing Corp. residents.

The only one who went into their apartments to see for himself the often horrible conditions they were living in.

The only one who listened to their concerns and tried to help, whether it meant getting repairs done or finding them a new home.

He cared about people. He once gave me $20 for cab fare when we were at a campaign event on the other side of the city because I’d left everything at the office, saying he didn’t think, “any young lady in Toronto should be without some way of getting home.”

Rob Ford was often the only politician on council who really gave a damn about how the public’s money was being spent.
Taxpayers worse off with Rob Ford gone | Warmington | Toronto & GTA | News | Tor

His flaws were well-documented, but they didn’t include wasting taxpayers’ hard-earned dollars.

Yet he was targeted and hunted.

Ford was viciously smeared, attacked and badgered by political opponents, who not only didn’t like him because he was heavy and wasn’t a fancy talker, but because he liked beer, banter, his buddies and didn’t succumb to their politically correct bullying.

He didn’t dance to their tune, didn’t do or say what they wanted, nor did he see the public’s money as a personal trough to slop into his coffers and those of his friends.

The snooty bullies on the left also loathed that he was a rock star who could attract crowds of thousands and take pictures with thousands more.

They tried to get him kicked out of office for raising $3,150 for youth football using city letterhead while other politicians’ obvious conflict issues are glossed over.

Crack cocaine, alcohol, one too many binges and foul words are nothing compared to any of the expensive failures of all sorts of leaders of his generation.
RIP Mr. Ford.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I consider him a precursor to the Donald Trump phenomenon. He screwed up the city with the transit situation, but I feel bad for his family. They dealt with his issues when he was alive, and now deal with his loss at such a young age.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Only because the media bullied him. The same ones that shame others for bullying. He was a human being with a family and if what was said about him was done to another addict the world would be outraged at the insensitivity.

The media was so relentless on him and his family about his drug addiction that they neglected to state what made him a good politician. He cared about the little guy in Toronto. He made it his policy to return calls, unlike most politicians and that matters to people.

Rob Ford gave his all to Toronto | BATRA | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Taxpayers worse off with Rob Ford gone | Warmington | Toronto & GTA | News | Tor

RIP Mr. Ford.
So the media bullied him into hiring hookers, taking crack and hanging out with drug dealers???? Give me break, the $hit he put his wife and kids through. The things he said about his wife in public === loser.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
If he's bragging about his exploits, IMO he's leaving himself wide open for ridicule. Especially as a public servant.

Sure, he was an addict and therefore a victim of his choices, but that doesn't mean we should celebrate his antics.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
If he's bragging about his exploits, IMO he's leaving himself wide open for ridicule. Especially as a public servant.

Sure, he was an addict and therefore a victim of his choices, but that doesn't mean we should celebrate his antics.
He never bragged about them, he denied them. He had a drug problem that got worse as the pressures of being Mayor increased.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

Agree with Christine and upnorth. His absurd behavior and attitudes is what got him the media attention. It's not like the media made him into what he became. Didn't he make a comment once that motorists should just run over cyclists that get in the way, or some such ?. He was a pre-cursor to Trump only worse. He seemingly forget that as mayor he was supposed to be a public servant, His being in politics and the limelight just made an ego in a suit.

Sorry for his family, but I've no feeling of RIP, just good riddance.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Agree with Christine and upnorth. His absurd behavior and attitudes is what got him the media attention. It's not like the media made him into what he became. Didn't he make a comment once that motorists should just run over cyclists that get in the way, or some such ?. He was a pre-cursor to Trump only worse. He seemingly forget that as mayor he was supposed to be a public servant, His being in politics and the limelight just made an ego in a suit.

Sorry for his family, but I've no feeling of RIP, just good riddance.
And yet that is what he did so well. Probably better than any other mayor.

There is no politician that is perfect, nor is there any human who is so. We all have skeleton's in our closet. (Our current Prime Minister admits to smoking pot and the media didn't camp out on his front lawn and harass him and his family).

As a mere mortal I can't imagine the pressure to have attacks for minor issues coming from all sides and then having the media camping out on your front yard. People who wanted him out of office so bad that they would find any excuse to have him under scrutiny. It not only affected him, it affected his family which I'm sure added to his alcohol and drug abuse. I agree he should have sought help 2 years before he did, but that is not uncommon for addicts to be in denial.

There are politicians who have caused much worse to the taxpayer than what Rob did to "embarrass" them. But then again, it depends on what you want as a politician who is spending the taxpayers' money and making policies that can affect your livelihood. What Rob did while mayor probably didn't affect too many people directly.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Only because the media bullied him.
Huh? What's the connection between Toronto being a laughing stock and him being bullied by the media?

Are you suggesting that media pressure drove him to smoke crack, get fat, claim it's cyclists own fault when they get killed, stereotype "orientals", make really stupid comments about AIDS, use hookers, get hammered and throw parties in his tax payer funded office.....and so on.

Toronto electing such a man is the reason the world laughed at Toronto. Unless you're claiming the media drove him to do those and other things there's no connection between laughing stock and media bullying. (It's not like he coached the Canadians so how bad could the media pressure have been anyway)

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Are you suggesting that media pressure drove him to smoke crack, get fat, claim it's cyclists own fault when they get killed, stereotype "orientals", make really stupid comments about AIDS, use hookers, get hammered and throw parties in his tax payer funded office.....and so on.

Sad part is, we just might have his American equivalent running the country next time around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts