Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I pulled a stupid move, but I learend a valuble lesson. To bad it was at the cost of a conti. comp. I ripped the cloth on the underside of the tire while trying to get it on the rim. I was thinking I could glue another one off of an old tire. Has anyone ever done this? What kind of glue do they use? I was thinking about using tubular glue.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Base tape?

the bull said:
I was thinking I could glue another one off of an old tire. Has anyone ever done this? What kind of glue do they use? I was thinking about using tubular glue.
There is another base tape glue to use here, or just contact cement. Then if you're fancy, you could brush it all with liquid latex to seal it.

It is not the casing of the tire, right (or else the whole thing is toast) but just the base tape?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
If you mean that you separated the base tape from the tire, you can glue it back on by using (1) normal tubular glue, (2) liquid latex, or (3) Barge Cement. The last one is said to be the strongest. It can be purchased at hardware stores.
If you riped the tire casing, it's "good-by tire."

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
If you mean that you separated the base tape from the tire, you can glue it back on by using (1) normal tubular glue, (2) liquid latex, or (3) Barge Cement. The last one is said to be the strongest. It can be purchased at hardware stores.
If you riped the tire casing, it's "good-by tire."
Now I know that this would be a pain on a tubular, but if it was a big bux tire and you wanted the challenge. You could open up the tubular and sew up the sidewall with surgical sutures. Then you could put some tape on the inside tio prevent tube chafing. A friend used to do this with Conti. Gran Prix clinchers. They had the flimsiest sidewalls around and it was not unusual to cut a sidewall on the first rides of a tire. You should be able to get sutures from a medical supply place or your local friendly Vet.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
You're OK

the bull said:
hope you get the picture...
As long as you go get the "super" glue suggested above.

Mike

·
24,427 Posts
I hope that you didn't pull the base tape all the way off. If you did, you'll have a hell of a hard time getting it on straight. If you only pulled off a few inches, you will be OK.
Conti's have poor base tape glue. They always tend to peel a little. If the tape is all the way off, you might want to glue the tire on without the base tape. You will never be able to repair the tire, and I would be afraid to pull it off and reglue, but that's better than having a crooked tire.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure I did

I just peeled it right off.I always do the dumbest things right after I do the dumb things!
Kind of like getting on a stupid train I guess.
There was a tear in the cloth causing the tire to "dipp" because the rubber wanted to stretch were the cloth would not hold it in place.
I like your idea about the birk cement I have used that stuff to repair all kinds if stuff.
I thing now if I brush it on and lay the base tape over the lines of where the old one was I should be allright. It will be a while before I try it but I think this is the best way to go.
One thing I wonder about is when you say glue it on with out the base tape. Wouldnt the tire expand like crazy? I did not try it but the base tape seems to be the stuff that keeps the tyre from expanding.

·
24,427 Posts
The base tape is on there to protect the caseing from wearing on the rim and to keep glue from getting in the threads. If the glue gets in the threads, it will be almost impossible to take the tire apart to repair a flat.
A friend of mine, who used to race 6 day's back in the 50's, told me that they always used to pull off the base tape on track tires to save weight.
If I were you, I'd put the tire on a front wheel without the base tape. Just don't ride it with 70-80 pounds of air in it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
the bull said:
I just peeled it right off.I always do the dumbest things right after I do the dumb things!
I'd check with Tire Alert. If you didn't know, TireAlert is a tubular tire repair service. They fix flatted tires for $20, or $15 if you send more than one. They remove the old base tape, open the casing all the way up, install a new tube, sew the casing back up, and install new base tape. I've never used them, having just gotten back on tubs again, but I've heard good things.

--Shannon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts