Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

What is the general thinking in regards to riser stems ?

I ask because I see alot of people using them but whenever I see pictures of bikes I never see them pictured unless they are designated as "comfort bikes".

Do they significantly decrease performance in more competetive events?

Just wondering

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rusty Coggs said:
If you can't get aero, are you going to be competetive in serious events?
I guess what you are saying is that any rise in the stem will hurt performance but I have hard time staying in the drops without it - is that more a fit issue or a strenght imbalance?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
A fit issue

Generally, if you subscribe to the small frame theory you will need a longer stem to put you in the correct position. Unless you are a serious racer, you will probably be more comfortable when your stem is level or very slightly lower than your saddle. The high in the sky saddle and low handlebar looks very cool but isn't very comfortable for long periods of time.
So, to answer your question, try getting a taller frame next time and the riser stem won't be so much of an issue. Or you can check the Rivendell web site to read Grant Peterson's theory on frame fit.

Tim

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'm not sure about this, but I think the reason is that a smaller head tube is more aero and it allows for a shorter steerer which in turn results in a stiffer setup. This design is quite common for track bikes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
bigriderblack said:
All,

What is the general thinking in regards to riser stems ?

I ask because I see alot of people using them but whenever I see pictures of bikes I never see them pictured unless they are designated as "comfort bikes".

Do they significantly decrease performance in more competetive events?

Just wondering
they are becoming more common, and a few things to blame for:

- carbon steer forks, which limit the amount of spacers
- TT got longer (is LeMond to blame for?) and many have to ride smaller frames
- shorter headtubes, thnx to integrated headsets and as attempt to make bikes lighter and aero
- compact frame design
- more riders with MTB background.

riser stem allows for lighter and stiffer set up (fewer spacers and shorter steer) but to some it is butt ugly. Do they significantly decrease performance? no, it isn't about bike. However it is about fit. Given the same saddle/BB/handlebar position it wouldn't matter much how you got there, using spacers, longer headtube or riser stem. So put that riser on you 'nago, make your friends laugh :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts