Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else mad and frustrated that within the next month prices on Campagnolo components will rise higher than they already are?

I am trying to set up my bike with Campy Chorus, but possibly Centaur at this point, I just don't know if I can afford this. Any suggestions on where to go? Thanks.

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
I'd be more upset at the declining U.S. economy and the devaluation of the dollar than the "rise" in price of Campy (which is Italian, and based on the Euro....).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jed Peters said:
I'd be more upset at the declining U.S. economy and the devaluation of the dollar than the "rise" in price of Campy (which is Italian, and based on the Euro....).
I am pissed with the state of the union and economy. I couldn't agree with you more. My point being is that it's costing us riders, and especially those of us wanting to buy quality components from Europe. So, facing this economic situation, I wondered how other riders are affected and whether anyone could offer help in acquiring Campy components at reasonable rates.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Not much that can be done

CheersMageers said:
Is anyone else mad and frustrated that within the next month prices on Campagnolo components will rise higher than they already are?

I am trying to set up my bike with Campy Chorus, but possibly Centaur at this point, I just don't know if I can afford this. Any suggestions on where to go? Thanks.
US trade deficit is huge and the dollar's likely to decrease a further 10% through to the end of 2004 against the £, € and to a lesser degree, the Yen (so no Shimano either).

Mad and frustrated? Try getting paid in US dollars and living in London, the 7th most expensive city in the World and second most expensive outside of Asia. That five percent raise has just been offset by a 20% decrease in your spending power! Even after tax-effecting, it hurts.

The only way to beat the system is to get paid in a non-US currency and buy it in USD. Euro's are heading for the States en masse for holiday and buying sprees.

What goes around comes around. My first time in London was 1985. It was $1.05 to £1.00.

OK, none of this helps. Have you thought about buying in EBay? Even new gruppos, never mind last year's model can be had for less.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I just compare the cost to the alternatives

I can almost buy a new custom bike every other year by not driving to work and paying to park downtown. A new bike build is expensive, but the long-term return is pretty great. Buying bikes new and selling them used can get expensive though. I keep my chain fairly clean, to reduce replacement costs.

And, for commuting, a fixed gear is very cheap to run. Only one pair of brake pads and one cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts