Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a set of ritchey carbons. I hear they are zipp 404's and are meant to be pretty good wheels. I am looking for a set for TT's, Crits and Triathlons. I am 6ft tall and weigh 177 lbs. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the wheels. Also this is my first post so I hope this is enough info for you guys to help me with my question.

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
Kabooby said:
I am thinking of buying a set of ritchey carbons. I hear they are zipp 404's and are meant to be pretty good wheels. I am looking for a set for TT's, Crits and Triathlons. I am 6ft tall and weigh 177 lbs. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the wheels. Also this is my first post so I hope this is enough info for you guys to help me with my question.
A student that I sometimes train with that races for the University of Illinois bought a set and loved them until during his second race he trashed the rear. Ritchey has a replacement program but it is still going to cost him $300 to get the wheel fixed on a student's budget. You mentioned your concern about cost which is why I mentioned the cost issue. If money is a concern then you shouldn't "race what you can't replace". The Ritchey's will make you faster but you also have to remember that carbon wheels can more easily be subject to failure and are you prepared to shell out $300 should you hit a pothole in your first race?

Carbon wheels are great, I own a set but you also have to realize and be prepared for the worse case scenerio.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is where it gets a little confusing, majority of riders own zipps and or recommend zipps but aren't ritcheys made by zipp or is a 404 with ritchey hubs. If so then why is the ritchey getting a bad review and not the zipp.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It's an un-dimpiled 404 with a Ritchey hub. Thus the bad reviews. A good rim an excellent wheel does not make. You need the whole package. I thought about the Ritchey's before I got my Tempest's. It was a bit more for them, but I think that the hubs are better.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I will be purchasing a set of Ritchey Carbon clinchers tomorrow if all goes well. Spoke to several people in the past few days and some who own or know people who own Ritcheys say they are fantastic and love them. So Ritcheys are going to be it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why did you even bother to ask this question Kabooby? It looks like you already had your mind made up. Everyone knows Ritchey makes great stems and bars (I own a few pairs) but everyone also knows that you don't trust anything Ritchey makes with bearings in it. Leave those products to Mavic, Campagnolo, Shimano, and other companies that know what they're doing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Marimba, I wasn't sure about my decision and everyone at the time had only mentioned about the hub issue they had last year, since then they have corrected the problem and a lot of guys say that the new hub is awesome. Asking for peoples second opinion is not a bad thing you should try it. Not everyone knows everything thats why if you have a look at thousands of other posts peolpe are asking questions about things others know more about. Have a nice day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.