Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. General question to the board . . .

I'm looking at the Ritchey Comp Carbon Cross fork for use on a Surly Crosscheck frame under a ~150lb rider. This is the GF's "all around" bike: daily commuter miles and long weekend roadie rides are the norm . . . but dirt/gravel roads and a rare CX race aren't entirely out of the question.

My primary question is about safety and durability: is this a "safe and sane" carbon fork for all-around use? If "you get what you pay for" . . . I guess I'm wondering what exactly you get for under $175 in a carbon CX fork.

I'm also interested in its ride characteristics, if anyone can comment.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

--MW

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Basically, what you get for $175 is a fork that isn't all that spectacularly light. It will still be significantly lighter than a steel fork though. FWIW, Winwood sells a fork that is lighter still for similar money.

I used to be leery of budget CF forks, but I have seen too many take too much of a beating to worry about it any more.

Strength-wise, it should be more than fine. Durability should be good too as long as it is protected from gouges. Can't comment on the ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.