Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing a rear Ritchey Pro hub. Does anybody have experiences with this hub or Ritchey road hubs in general? Normally, I would just go with a Shimano hub, but this one is about half the price.

Also, are the Ritchey hubs made by Formula?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not personally but my brother in law that I ride with has a set of Brontrager X Lite wheels and has had to get one of the cartridge bearings replaced twice in less than a year. This may be an isolated case or it may not - just food for thought.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jnichols, thanks for the info.

I'm also slightly worried about freehub replacement on the Ritchey hubs, although this might not be a major concern on a road hub. (I have more exerience with mtb.)

·
Registered
129 Posts
bad experience

I had a bad experience. I had Ritchey Pro hubs laced to Mavic MA3 rims. Spokes constantly broke. I took the wheels to three different shops to get trued and invariably a spoke would always broke after ~500 miles. I even had the front wheel rebuilt with a Shimano 105 hub (same spokes, same rim) and the problem disappeared. jeff

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Dunno who makes them, but...

sanrensho said:
I'm considering purchasing a rear Ritchey Pro hub. Does anybody have experiences with this hub or Ritchey road hubs in general? Normally, I would just go with a Shimano hub, but this one is about half the price.

Also, are the Ritchey hubs made by Formula?

Thanks in advance.
I like my Ritchey Pro wheels. Nary a problem in the year plus that I've owned them.

Mike

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Very nice hubs!

I had a set on a pro wheelset. Not one problem rolled smoth for a 20k miles or so!
Good stuff in my opinion.They had cartridge bearings that would be easy to fix anyways.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
I have some Ritchey Pro's that are holding up well after 3/12 yrs. I've had nothing but good experience with Ritchey products, except their old SPD mtb pedals. Those things were responsible for more bruises on my side.... Bad memories.

But the hubs rock! Mine stil do.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up going with a Ritchey WCS rear hub at slightly less than the price of an Ultegra hub. The WCS weighs 252 grams, so it should be perfect for a set of climbing wheels.

Thank for all the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts