Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

I finally found out the fork Cannondale decided to send me as an "upgrade" to the Ultra fork that currently comes when you order a CAAD9 BB30 frameset. My LBS didn't know what the fork would be, but it just arrived today... the Ritchey Pro Carbon fork, 45mm rake (same as the Ultra fork).

Does anyone have any experience with this fork? Handling characteristics? It seems to be light, but I'm finding VERY LITTLE technical data about this fork. I'll post pictures of it tonight after I pick it up. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

I just hope it's stiff enough! Otherwise, why the hell did I get the Hollowgram Si SL cranks, the CAAD9 frame with BB30, etc?

Cheers!
Chris

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
RoadBikeVirgin said:
Hello All -

I finally found out the fork Cannondale decided to send me as an "upgrade" to the Ultra fork that currently comes when you order a CAAD9 BB30 frameset. My LBS didn't know what the fork would be, but it just arrived today... the Ritchey Pro Carbon fork, 45mm rake (same as the Ultra fork).

Does anyone have any experience with this fork? Handling characteristics? It seems to be light, but I'm finding VERY LITTLE technical data about this fork. I'll post pictures of it tonight after I pick it up. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

I just hope it's stiff enough! Otherwise, why the hell did I get the Hollowgram Si SL cranks, the CAAD9 frame with BB30, etc?

Cheers!
Chris

Well, I was just asking the same question and no one replied. I went to Excel in Boulder, and chatted with the sale mgr about Ritchey forks. I was looking at their bargain table '07 WCS fork for $200 and compared it to the '09 WCS HMCF UD fork for twice that price. I wasn't about to spend $400 on the '09 but I just wanted to check it out side by side. I also asked about the '09 Pro HMCF UD fork and which he would choose between the '07 WCS and the '09 Pro, and he said no question- WCS. He stated that even though the '09 Pro is High Modulus and Uni-Directional, the grade of carbon is still not as good as the WCS. I'm sure the Pro is a great fork but he convinced me to get the cheaper, older model even though I was willing ot pay more for the newer '09 Pro model. I find it a rarity when a salesperson talks you out of the more expensive model for a cheaper model. Anyway, I took home the last '07 WCS fork they had. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks to both of you for replying :) I don't believe I'd purchase one of these forks on my own (especially not at the $320 price tag) but I suppose it IS an improvement over the Cannondale Ultra fork, although I'm still curious how it compares with the Premium/Premium+ forks. I guess I'm most worried about the flex, as the fork weighs under 350 grams and I'm still just over 200 lbs. By the time I get the bike assembled, I will most likely be around 195 lbs and slowly continuing to drop.

Again, thanks for your responses :)

-Chris

·
Registered
446 Posts
I picked up a ritchey pro carbon (07 i believe) and have ridden it for the past 1.5 years.. been a great fork for me, i'm 6' 185, and i've felt no real flex on it... although i'm riding a steel frame to begin with which has some flex... anyways, i've loved it, but have only ridden other stock forks (trek madone, giant TCR were the 2 other carbons i've ridden)... anyways, i've been pleased...

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
I am putting the pro ud on my BMC, should be done tomorrow.

I paid $203 at tree fort bikes.
I struggled between it and the easton ec 90sl (which i have on my c'dale).

I let price dictate the choice (and the fact I could find nothing negative about it). The unidiractional carbon is a nice look. I'll soon know more about the ritchey.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I emailed Ritchey about this fork. I asked what the difference was between the Pro and the WCS and which fork would be the best choice for my 190 lbs. I told them it was not for racing just for an all around fork for general riding including climbing, fast descents and fast training rides. They replied that for my purposes the Pro would be the better choice. They said that the forks would perform almost identically but that the WCS fork is lighter and was designed as a a fork that could be used in professional racing. I bought the Pro at PBK for about 185.00 shipped. After I ride it I'll post a report.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JohnHenry said:
I am putting the pro ud on my BMC, should be done tomorrow.

I paid $203 at tree fort bikes.
I struggled between it and the easton ec 90sl (which i have on my c'dale).

I let price dictate the choice (and the fact I could find nothing negative about it). The unidiractional carbon is a nice look. I'll soon know more about the ritchey.
Thanks for the info - I'd love to hear your initial impressions once you get it installed and take it for a ride :)

And Tree Fort Bikes kits butt :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fivethumbs said:
I emailed Ritchey about this fork. I asked what the difference was between the Pro and the WCS and which fork would be the best choice for my 190 lbs. I told them it was not for racing just for an all around fork for general riding including climbing, fast descents and fast training rides. They replied that for my purposes the Pro would be the better choice. They said that the forks would perform almost identically but that the WCS fork is lighter and was designed as a a fork that could be used in professional racing. I bought the Pro at PBK for about 185.00 shipped. After I ride it I'll post a report.
Thanks for doing the extra bit of research on this :) and great find on that fork. I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have once you test it out. I hope it works great for you :)

-Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts