Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just wondering if I will notice any difference in stiffness with the Ritchey WCS 31.8 bars and stem compared to a regular diameter bar/stem combo. I currently use standard diameter Ritchey Pro bars/stem, but I want to go with something a little lighter on my new bike build without getting too much flexibility. I am a 185 pound rider if that makes a difference. Thanks!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
Don't go to the dark side.

The standard WCS stem is plenty stiff. I matched that stem with a "Pro" bar for safety. I really didn't feel like changing my bars every year. I'm sure professional riders have their bars changed a few times every year. That's how they can get away with using very lightweight parts. If you don't race and don't ride very hard often, the WCS bar will probably last a few years before it snaps and you fall, screaming to the pavement.(Soon to be run over by that SUV driver who is on the phone, and picking his ear.)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have that o/s set-up on my De Rosa. I can't recommend it. If it's stiffer than reg. dia., then I can't notice it - and it comes with all the associated computer and light-mounting headaches - and costs about $20 more. Additionally I don't like the shape of the bars though many have raved about it.
Mike

·
Administrator
12,977 Posts
go for it

The 31.8 standard is the wave of the future, might as well get onboard with the new standard now. I have the Ritchey Pro OS stem on my cross bike (with a Salsa Bar Lap bar) and its quite stiff.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ditto

MR_GRUMPY said:
The standard WCS stem is plenty stiff. I matched that stem with a "Pro" bar for safety. I really didn't feel like changing my bars every year. I'm sure professional riders have their bars changed a few times every year. That's how they can get away with using very lightweight parts. If you don't race and don't ride very hard often, the WCS bar will probably last a few years before it snaps and you fall, screaming to the pavement.(Soon to be run over by that SUV driver who is on the phone, and picking his ear.)
A big fat DITTO here.

The WCS bar is made with some seriously soft alum... it scored very low in a German strength test... and can be easily crimped by stem bolts that are mildly overtightened. I have personal experience with the crimping. I replaced my crimped bar with a Ritchey OS Pro and (assuming not a placebo effect) I find it to be noticeably stiffer than the WCS.

I'm perfectly happy with my WCS stem. But larger riders should prolly stay away from the WCS bar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WCS 31.8 stem?

OK, but what about the stem? Would the WCS 31.8 stem be safe to ride if used with a Ritchey Pro OS bar?

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
yup.

my327vette said:
OK, but what about the stem? Would the WCS 31.8 stem be safe to ride if used with a Ritchey Pro OS bar?
Ritchey is good about that kind of stuff. Cross compatiblitly is a good thing...

IMO, if you're heavier than say 160-ish, I'd stick with the Pro level stuff.

Mike

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
Sure, if you feel that you want to go oversize. If you stay with the standard sizes, you'll probably save 30-40 grams. I've never seen anyone have problems with a WCS stem, standard or oversize, as long as you are very careful with the four bolts. With four bolts, it's very easy to torque them too much. If you do that, any bar may fail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts