Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have objective data on the WCS bars, stem, post, and even wheels?

It seems that if you are looking for light weight; that this top level Ritchey is hard to beat for value

Does anyone know of better stuff for the money when doing a buildup with name brand components?

·
Banned
1,475 Posts
I've been using a WCS stem with Newton bar for the past year. I went off reviews on it and the Thompson. The lbs where I had the bike built up could get the Ritchey faster so I went with that. It's been good. It creaks every now and again when I'm out of the saddle but not bad. None of the bolts have loosened or broken. Can't really compare it to any out there since my old bike (93 Paramount OS) which I was using up until about a year a ago has an old Cinelli stem and bar. I don't change out parts willy nilly or because something new has come out, hence it had 13 year old components. I just replaced the parts that wear or break. When I rebuild that Paramount it will be with all up to date stuff. I'll probably put a different stem on it so I can compare but until then.

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
While it would be great to say everything from a single manufacturer or in Ritchey's case, a design company since Ritchey as many other company only designs the components and cheap asian companies actually make the parts. Ritchey has an awesome stem and very light, very good bars and seatposts which niether are extremely light. Their wheels have had some issues in the past and hopefully they have those issues worked out.

To really have the best on your bike you will find that there will be many brands on your bike. Overall most of Ritchey components are very good but I would seek the best of each individual component and not buy just because of a name.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I'm on my third season with the 26mm WCS stem and the "Pro" bars, and can say the the WCS stem is a dream. I've decided that I really don't care for the shape of the bend of their bars, though. I prefer the ITM shape.

·
Registered
714 Posts
another vote for the pro bars, i feel they are a good balance between weght and flex.

in 26, the wcs is VERY flexy compared to the pro version.

the wcs bar may work for those who:
-are very light and do not flex stuff much
-do not mind constant flex
-are used to a flexy bar
-can justify saving 20 grams at the expense of flex
-do not sprint to the max

also, i have the comp bars on another bike, stiffer yet. chalk it up to heavier+more material+stiffer.

MR_GRUMPY said:
I'm on my third season with the 26mm WCS stem and the "Pro" bars, and can say the the WCS stem is a dream. I've decided that I really don't care for the shape of the bend of their bars, though. I prefer the ITM shape.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I like Ritchey

Got a WCS OS Stem and Pro OS bars. Would have gone Pro for the stem as well, but got a sweet deal on the bars. Strong enough for a clydesdale. I like the shape of the Ritchey bars and have them on several bikes. Nice flat top for Campy shifters.

I have shopped around for other bars, but always come back for the price vs. features.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is what I am thinking

cthomas said:
Got a WCS OS Stem and Pro OS bars. Would have gone Pro for the stem as well, but got a sweet deal on the bars. Strong enough for a clydesdale. I like the shape of the Ritchey bars and have them on several bikes. Nice flat top for Campy shifters.

I have shopped around for other bars, but always come back for the price vs. features.

It does appear to me that the quality is very good and the price is much more realistic than other brands -- even for the top of the line WCS stuff -- that's why I ask

thanks

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Objective data? Not really. Subjectively speaking, I've had two Ritchey WCS stems (standard size) and both have performed well. No flex issues that I can perceive. I also like the four-bolt faceplate. One knock: on my latest stem, the bolts on the steer-tube clamp don't seem to be machined all that cleanly. They seem to have burrs on the threaded ends. During hard sprint efforts, I've brushed my thighs against the stem and been cut by the bolt threads.

I also have a WCS seatpost. IME, it's a pain to adjust the saddle. I like my Thompson better.

·
Registered
357 Posts
More subjective data:
I've got the full WCS setup, and really like it. I haven't seen any flex issues, with everything properly adjusted, and I'm close to 200 lbs.

I agree the seatpost is tough to adjust with the two bolts, but it is very adjustable, and stays where you put it when done.

I want to shave some weight on my MTB, and after the road experience I'm going to buy the full WCS setup for that as well.

·
Registered
635 Posts
odeum said:
in 26, the wcs is VERY flexy compared to the pro version.
the wcs bar may work for those who:
-are very light and do not flex stuff much
-do not mind constant flex
-are used to a flexy bar
-can justify saving 20 grams at the expense of flex
-do not sprint to the max
in my experience, having ridden both the pro and the wcs 26mm bars for about 3 weeks each, raced on both, and weighing about 120 lbs, i found the above statement to be completely untrue. and, a teammate of mine who is 175lbs rides the wcs 26mm and can pull of a decent sprint has also had no problems with flex in his bars. some of it just comes down to the mind and its pre-conceived notions.

·
Registered
357 Posts
CC09 said:
in my experience, having ridden both the pro and the wcs 26mm bars for about 3 weeks each, raced on both, and weighing about 120 lbs, i found the above statement to be completely untrue. and, a teammate of mine who is 175lbs rides the wcs 26mm and can pull of a decent sprint has also had no problems with flex in his bars. some of it just comes down to the mind and its pre-conceived notions.
I had what I thought was an unacceptable amount of bar flex, then I realized I hadn't tighened down the stem faceplate enough. Maybe that's where it's coming from. It's rock solid now, and I like to sprint.

·
Registered
428 Posts
WCS OS Pro-bend bar user here! Love 'em...

In conjunction with the Thomson OS road stem, these things are fantastic! The traditional bend on the bar is soooooo much more usable than their anatomic design.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Ritchey WSC al seatpost..

I used a WSC al 27.2x280 road seatpost and it worked fine. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get my saddle perfectly level with the dual clamp method that Ritchey uses. I stopped using it because I messed up and stripped one of the clamp bolts due to my own negligence. I'm currently using a Ritchey New Pro seatpost and if works great. The only difference is it has 20mm of setback compared to 25mm of the WSC. The WSC is also lighter and the upper and lower clamps are chrome plated compared to the painted silver ones of the New Pro.

I think Ritchey has their stuff made in China, if that makes a difference. Also Ritchey seems to have no customer support nor replacement parts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have ritchey WCS stem, 26 mm on two bikes and I'm perfectly satisfied. I'd view it as being interchangeable with an Easton EA-70. Nitto also mkaes really nice stems you should look at, particularly if you want to go silver.

I have the WCS bars too, and while there's nothing wrong with them I like the shape of my Deda 215's better.

I think the WCS seatpost is clearly inferior to a Thomson. It's hard to get the seat where you want it, and to make it stay there. Thomson offers much better adjustability. Obviously, your need for setback will play a big part in that decision.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.