Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hub is on the way out, and I can not seem to locate a replacement freehub body on line. One mechanic suggested simply getting a whole new wheel. CRC has these entry level Campy's for just under $200 CAN.
Even if I do locate the freehub body, and spend what? $50 plus install, I am still left with a hub that seems prone to failure and hard to source replacement parts. Seems to be the new wheelset is possibly the better path to take. The wheelset I would be replacing is a Ritchie Pro DS (2009 era).
What do you all think? Obviously it'd be nice to get a higher end wheelset but budget constraints are an issue.

·
Registered
627 Posts
2 things:

1.Have you tried to contact Ritchey directly? They may be able to point you towards a freehub that will work. Often the same freehub body will be used across a line of hubs or a "stock body" sourced for hubs. Might be easier to find if they are still using that body on a current hub set. But then you are back to hub cost plus labor.

2. I have a set of those campy wheels you linked to. Found mine on a web forum 4 years ago for $100 shipped. They were take offs from a new bike, basically new 1-2 rides on them while guy was waiting for an upgrade set to come in. They have been a good set of wheels and have held up well on my commuter bike. My vote would be to look around for a good used set of campy wheels, or stretch the budget a little and go for wiggle.com | Campagnolo Scirocco 35 Clincher Wheelset | Road Race Wheels.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the local distributor of Ritchie products today (local Norco distributor/warehouse) and he got back to me for more details. I expect to hear tomorrow as to whether he can get me a FH body.
I must say I am liking the thought of the Hope hoops on Stans rims (see link above), as the Hope hubs are fully rebuildable and are known to have a quality reputation AFAIK.

·
Cathedral City, CA
910 Posts
Post in the Ritchey forum. A company representative posts there.

Ritchey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.