Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Wow, first the brake recall, then exploding RD and now the FD. I am glad I did not "Make the Leap." :mad2:

I love my SRAM MTB stuff, but there road parts are having issues. Sorry man!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes to your question you can use an ultegra FD with Rival Brifters.

I think people are making too much out of Red RD and other SRAM road component failures. Crank/Brake failures may be dangerous but aside from that I see little danger in a FD or RD failure. Furthermore, components fail all the time, from Shimano, Campy and SRAM, but I think SRAM gets extra scrutiny for being the new kid on the block. I have had two bikes with Rival components and no issues whatsoever. The Rival group is lighter than Ultegra and works very well IMHO.

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,015 Posts
Poor adjustment

any component not properly adjusted is liable to fail. possibly, too, if cross-chaining is severe enough?

this is not a "dangerous trend", that sort of nonsensical admonition that helps nothing.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
bbtheory said:

I think people are making too much out of Red RD and other SRAM road component failures. Crank/Brake failures may be dangerous but aside from that I see little danger in a FD or RD failure. Furthermore, components fail all the time, from Shimano, Campy and SRAM, but I think SRAM gets extra scrutiny for being the new kid on the block.
Any component failure is dangerous if it occurs while riding.

Why would SRAM get extra scrutiny for being the new kid on the block? Oh yeah, because that means that failures are more likely due to faulty design or manufacturing rather than wear.

bbtheory said:
I have had two bikes with Rival components and no issues whatsoever. The Rival group is lighter than Ultegra and works very well IMHO.
Yeah I have never seen any of these issues personally either. That suggests to me that they do not exist :rolleyes: Also Rival is lighter than Ultegra, which is relevant.

·
Registered
33 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Any component failure is dangerous if it occurs while riding.
This is pure BS at best, fear mongering at worst... headset, bottom bracket, shifters, any of these can break without causing serious injury... whether or not you get injured depends on what you do after failure, and the same can be said for a flat tire. Now if you said any component failure can be dangerous, you might have a point, but saying any component failure IS dangerous is just wrong...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bbtheory said:

I.

Thanks, I actually just reupped, and got a Force FD from Excel in Boulder. They had 'em in stock.

I'm interested in the dude that mentioned poor adjustment could cause failure. I did have my LBS adjust the FD b/c I was getting chain rub in the 50/26-23-21-19 and even a bit in the 17. Everything in the 34 was fine. After the adjustment, I only got a little rub in the 50/26, the others were great, until it fractured...

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
bbtheory said:
I think people are making too much out of Red RD and other SRAM road component failures. Crank/Brake failures may be dangerous but aside from that I see little danger in a FD or RD failure. Furthermore, components fail all the time, from Shimano, Campy and SRAM, but I think SRAM gets extra scrutiny for being the new kid on the block. I have had two bikes with Rival components and no issues whatsoever. The Rival group is lighter than Ultegra and works very well IMHO.
Really?? I am have seen more failures form SRAM than ANY other dirvetrain part so far ans well as MANY shops. With Campy and Shimano having a larger share of the market, you would think you would see an equal number. But you DON"T!

SRAM recalled their Force brakes because they failed due to thier DESGIN and maufacturing. FORCE RD were exploding left and right. So RED was supposedley redesgined a tiny bit to fix this issues. RD are having issses.

Now I have heard/seen5 RVIAL FD break or have issues. It's not wrong at all to think SRAM is having desgin issues. They are a newcomer to the road.

Now thier MTB stuff from I I have seen/used as been as good if not better than Shimano, excpect for the Truvativ cransks

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
bbtheory said:
This is pure BS at best, fear mongering at worst... headset, bottom bracket, shifters, any of these can break without causing serious injury... whether or not you get injured depends on what you do after failure, and the same can be said for a flat tire. Now if you said any component failure can be dangerous, you might have a point, but saying any component failure IS dangerous is just wrong...
"(I)s dangerous if it occurs while riding" vs. "can be dangerous". The distinction? :confused:

The failure of any component that leads to a sudden and/or unpredicable change in the way a bike operates can lead to an accident.

But don't let that stop you from enjoying your inferior components. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
wow
hey maybe its SCAM's intention to have things break so they make ya go out and spend even more money with them.
They know that their components is a few toothpicks lighter so forsures they know you will go out and buy it regardless lol

Ive used DA for over 15yrs and notta a single product has ever broken

Seems with the reports of brokenness and failures and recalls that SCAM is the Chrysler of bike components

·
Registered
34 Posts
I see the Sram supporters have 'weighed' in on this.

The question is: are these components failing because Sram has scrimped a little here, shaved a little there, prioritizing weight over durability? If one peruses the reviews posted at this website, it seems clear that there are quality concerns, particularly with the rival group.

As to the idea of "safe" component failure. Apart from my saddle bag, I can't think of anything that would be 100% safe in failure. Even the the most insignificant failure could lead to a disastrous distraction.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,328 Posts
LosAngelino said:
If one peruses the reviews posted at this website, it seems clear that there are quality concerns, particularly with the rival group.

IMHO at least 90% of people who post reviews on any product have suffered product failure (for any reason) and are pissed about it, and want to vent about it. Sometimes they have valid points--often times not. Thus this metric is not a reliable one at all. Look at Newegg.com--you'd figure most computer hardware is trash judging by the reviews.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Sram makes well designed product and have really shaken up the road and mountain bike markets. I'm glad they are in the bike parts game, its seriously benefited the consumer. That said, Sram is having some growing pains. I've seen a lot more defective Sram product than Shimano or Campy. Not having that much in house production can lead to some problems with quality control.
Sram will get it together with their road components in a few years just like they did with their mountain components and produce superb relatively problem free parts. You have to remember that Shimano has been making bike parts since the 20's, Campy since the 30's and Sram has really only been serious in the parts game since the late 90's. Give Sram some time, they will get it together.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.