Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Scott in Maryland
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from Frederick, Maryland. I am in the market for a bike in the $2000-2500 range. I'm new (again) to riding but used to race Tri's about fifteen years ago. I've been looking at Giant OCR and Scott CR1 and and C-dale Six13 and similar bikes. I need some help on groups. One great bike shop told me Rival is lighter and crisper than Ultegra ... clearly better. Another compared Rival with Tiagra.... not even close to 105. I've tried both and like the shifting mechanism of SRAM, but proven reliability is important to me as well. What I need is some objectivity. You guys and gals collectively know a lot about bikes... what do you think of Rival and where does it fit in against the Shimano line?

· Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I just moved up to a Rival-equipped bike from an Ultegra/Dura-Ace (Dura-Ace chain and rear derailleur) bike, and although I prefer the shifting technique on the Shimano components, the Rival sort of seems to have a pretty positive overall feel that is growing on me. For sure the SRAM “on the hoods” position is waaaaay more comfortable for long distances than the Shimano, but I am still having to “think too much” every time I up- or downshift. I’ve talked to other people who say that the SRAM setup is the cat’s meow, and others are Shimano faithful… and then there’s the “Campy or death, baby!” people who I still don’t understand. I guess it all comes down to being able to try out each setup for a couple of weeks and then making a decision, although that’s not exactly feasible all the time.

· Registered
92 Posts
You'll find the SRAM/ Shimano question will bring out some interesting emotion. I've gone from Ultegra (9 speed) to Dura-Ace 10 speed then to Force, then Red, and now I've got 2 bikes one with rival and one with Red. There was a recall on Force brakes for a bolt that was the wrong grain orientation (fixed with no failures) and there were as near as I can tell 2 rear derailleurs that failed, both force. The root cause of that was fixed in the fall of 2006. I really like the feel and sound of my shifting with both my SRAM bikes. THe setup is easy and stays in tune. Again you'll hear from people that have just had problems, but I've seen the same types of tuning issues with Shimano as well. In the time since SRAM has introduced the road stuff I've yet to see a component come back to us for warranty replacement (I work for a US distributor). I have seen plenty of 10 speed Ultegra, 105, and Dura-Ace shifters come back. I think SRAM has a nice product, but you need to ride and see what you like. When I was at the SRAM meeting this year, Rival is being marketed at the Ultegra level group and from my personal experience I agree with that.

That's my 1.3 cents

· Scott in Maryland
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for a well-informed opinion. it's helpful to hear from someone with a lot of miles on both. Maybe the warranty rates probably have a lot to do with fielded quantity (more Shimano (?). Thanks again. - Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.