Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After much consternation, I finally decided to get a Rivendell Atlantis. Like many here, I researched so many bikes that I could have been happy with a dozen or more possible frames, but I finally settled on this one because:

1. It was designed to be great all around frame (after being away from cycling for so long, I wasn't sure if I would love road or trail more....but the Atlantis can do both)
2. My proximity to Rivendell's HQ. They're just over the bridge from me so it was easy to pop in and talk to them about my wants/needs
3. I was able to test ride it in my size and it felt great.

Pretty much that simple. There were other reasons, but these are the key ones.

So, I put the order in on my birthday and started picking up parts a little at a time over the months and recently was able to pick up the frame and build it up. Pictures attaching, hopefully.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
drewjensen said:
After much consternation, I finally decided to get a Rivendell Atlantis. Like many here, I researched so many bikes that I could have been happy with a dozen or more possible frames, but I finally settled on this one because:

1. It was designed to be great all around frame (after being away from cycling for so long, I wasn't sure if I would love road or trail more....but the Atlantis can do both)
2. My proximity to Rivendell's HQ. They're just over the bridge from me so it was easy to pop in and talk to them about my wants/needs
3. I was able to test ride it in my size and it felt very great.

Pretty much that simple. There were other reasons, but these are the key ones.

So, I put the order in on my birthday and started picking up parts a little at a time over the months and recently was able to pick up the frame and build it up. Pictures attaching, hopefully.
Beaootifius! Very nice work. Couple questions:

1. What the heck are those brakes. "Neo Retro?" Cooooool.

2. I noticed you used twine on the handlebars, but no feathers. Why? (See recent RR if you are mystified) ;)

Yours,

FBB

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
parts

I didn't want to be overly self-indulgent but since you asked:

Chris King headset
48 cm Nitto Noodle bars
Nitto Technomic Deluxe Stem
Nitto Jaguar (2 bolt) seatpost
Brooks leather bar tape
Brooks champion special saddle
Shimano BR-600 brake levers
Pauls Cross Levers
Pauls Neo-Retro (front) and Touring (rear) brakes
105 front der
XTR RapidRise rear der
Dura-Ace bar-ends
Sugino XD600 Crank (46-36-26)
(older) XTR hubs
Velocity Dyad rims
Schwalbe Marathon Plus (35mm)

It rides really, really great.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
It looks as if you're carrying a Weber BBQ rear pack. Won't that throw the balance off?
Seriously, though, that's a truly pretty bike. I've never seen an Atlantis in that color, either. Very nice.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Mapei Roida said:
It looks as if you're carrying a Weber BBQ rear pack. Won't that throw the balance off?
Yeah, but it's worth it to have that "grilling beef" smell with you wherever you go!

- FBB

PS: Did you spec different brakes for heel clearance in back? Thanks.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Mine just turned 4--you're going to love it.

I scrimped and saved (two kids in college) and bought a frame/fork four years ago, when they were $950. It's built up with a combination of parts bin pieces and stuff I ordered from Riv (you're right, they were great to work with). Pretty standard for an Atlantis--Brooks, LX and DX, bar-end shifters, etc. A lot of lower-end things than I'd buy now, because the kids have graduated, but it'sall worked so well I haven't changed much.
A year ago, I dropped by Rivendell on a Saturday morning when they were wheeling out a used 64cm Ramboullet, with 105 components. I bought it on the spot for $1000, and I've ridden each about 2000 miles since. I love them both, but if I had to choose, I'd keep the Atlantis.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rambouillet

I tried the Rambouillet, too. I really did like it...just not as much. On my first ride, I did almost exactly the kind of ride I had hoped to do. I rode about ten miles out to the local state park. I rode through the park and discovered all kinds of dirt trails taking off to "who knows where"....and took those trails all over gods country. I tell you I felt like I was 10 years old going on a grand adventure through all of this terrain I had never even seen before. I came out of the other end of the park in some neighborhood and found my way home. It was a great time out. Anyway, I don't think the Rambouillet would have done as well in all of that terrain. The Atlantis was a champ.

As to the brakes, I read that was the preferred set up for Cross and I haven't ruled out trying out cyclocross this fall. There were even a few cross bikes that I checked out in the "all rounder" research project, before settling on the Atlantis.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
drewjensen said:
Have you seen the new green yet? It's not bad...I'm just not partial to metallics. I prefer the blue, followed by the original orange.

Agree 100%. I even prefer the "sea foam" green of the old Atlantis. I've been kicking around the idea of building a Saluki. Did the Bleriot ever materialize? I stopped subscribing to the mailing list because there was too much mail :D

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Heel clearance is an issue for some frames or feet. This combo works for that reason and because the Neo-retro brake has a ton of power. Much of that is lost on the rear because the wheel will just skid, on the front it adds performance.

Absolutely great bike. Pretty high on that blue color.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
blue

Thanks for all the kind words. I managed to get one of the few "unpainted" Atlantis's and so got to go through the exciting hell of picking a color out of a book. Many have gone through it and it is every bit as hard as you can imagine. I'm happy with the result, though, it's not quite as "dark" of a blue as I had imagined in my mind's eye. Still, though, I'm really happy with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dark colors and brass bells

I too, have now apparently learned the lesson of the the swatch book. I still like it though.

As to the bell, I thought it would be a more pleasant way to get people's attention than "On your left". Indeed, it's a very pleasant sounding bell. But the first time I used it, the person in front of me just kind of looked all around them, apparently thinking "why is there a bell sound out here?". The actual utility of the bell appears to be somewhat limited.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.