Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting into triathlons, and I'm thinking about getting a tri bike. From what I've read, tri/tt bikes are designed to be fast and fairly specific for racing. I've also read that they aren't the best for bunch riding.

As such, I was wondering what people do in regard to bikes. Do you have a road bike for training and a tri/tt bike for racing, just a tri/tt bike that you do your training/racing on or do you just use aerobars on your road bike and not both with a tri/tt bike?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Depends on your budget and your bike. Some bikes like Cervelo's soloist and Van Dessel's Hella Faster are easier to play both rolls.

Tri bikes have a different geometry to save certain muscle groups for your run theoretically. And yes, they can be more difficult in group rides, as they are not as easy to control, and dangerous if you get into a paceline in the aerobars. If you ride in a group, don't use the aerobars.

I used to have a time trial specific bike, but I realized I didn't race tri's or time trials enough to really need it. It was nice to have a set up to really cruise, but where I live, it was too dangerous with too much traffic that doesn't give a crap about cyclists. For training for and racing Tri/Time trial, I have a pair of aerobars I slap on and I move my seat as far forward as possible. This works out for my purposes just fine. Though admittedly, I am much more of a roadie now any ways.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Triathlons

manamana said:
I'm getting into triathlons, and I'm thinking about getting a tri bike. From what I've read, tri/tt bikes are designed to be fast and fairly specific for racing. I've also read that they aren't the best for bunch riding.

As such, I was wondering what people do in regard to bikes. Do you have a road bike for training and a tri/tt bike for racing, just a tri/tt bike that you do your training/racing on or do you just use aerobars on your road bike and not both with a tri/tt bike?

What distance do you plan on racing? If you are only going to do some Sprint races just to get a flavor for it, then definitely you do not need a tri bike. You can modify a current road bike like sscooterguy and be just fine. If you plan on racing Olympic, Half, or Full Ironman, and are really serious about competing, you will want a tri specific bike. Fit for a tri bike is even more critical than a road bike, so finding a good fitter is your first step if you want to make that commitment. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I've raced Sprint and Olympic distance for the past 2 years and spend way too much time on slowtwitch so I have plenty of opinions. They may not be good, but I have a lot of them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts