Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Road applications of internal geared hubs

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SilverStar 
#1 ·
I am kicking around the idea of converting my single speed Van Dessel Country Road Bob
into a geared bike. I primarily use this bike as a commuter, rain, and occasional light trail bike. I love it, and love it's simplicity. However, I'd like to be able to go faster without sacrificing too much low end effort. As of right now, I can comfortably go about 18 mph on cyclocross tires, but I'd like more top end, and the ability to change gears for hillier terrain.

I'm kicking around the idea of using an internal geared disc brake compatible hub on like Shimano's Alfie or SRAM's I-Motion. I know that both of these have mountain bike type shifters compatible with mtn bike bar diameters, and I also know about Dynamic bicycles' own STI type shifter. However, does anyone know if there are any other road bar compatible options available? Any other set ups that you know about? How is the durablity of these set ups? Finally, what are your sources for getting your hands on these items?

I know some will hate the idea of making the single speed a geared bike, and some will suggest using the bike's included rear derailleur hanger for a traditional set up, but I'm interested in the internal geared set up for now. Thanks for any input.

See less See more
#2 ·
I normally ride a fixie, but for my commute I use a Masi Soulville with an 8 sp Nexus hub and like it a lot, the upright position and twist shifter work really well in downtown traffic. THe gear spacing is less than ideal, but since I normally only have one gear it doesn't seem so bad.

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the gear spacing either, since I'm used to single speed too. I'm even considering the 3 speed hubs. Any thoughts? Any other solution for road bar set ups? I like my road style bars and want to be able to still go out with group rides occasionally on this bike with some more novice slower friends.

Anyone try other brand/types like NuVinci continuously variable gear? Thanks again for the replies.

#5 ·
shifting options

sscooterguy said:
I am kicking around the idea of converting my single speed Van Dessel Country Road Bob
into a geared bike. I primarily use this bike as a commuter, rain, and occasional light trail bike. I love it, and love it's simplicity. However, I'd like to be able to go faster without sacrificing too much low end effort. As of right now, I can comfortably go about 18 mph on cyclocross tires, but I'd like more top end, and the ability to change gears for hillier terrain.

I'm kicking around the idea of using an internal geared disc brake compatible hub on like Shimano's Alfie or SRAM's I-Motion. I know that both of these have mountain bike type shifters compatible with mtn bike bar diameters, and I also know about Dynamic bicycles' own STI type shifter. However, does anyone know if there are any other road bar compatible options available? Any other set ups that you know about? How is the durablity of these set ups? Finally, what are your sources for getting your hands on these items?

I know some will hate the idea of making the single speed a geared bike, and some will suggest using the bike's included rear derailleur hanger for a traditional set up, but I'm interested in the internal geared set up for now. Thanks for any input.
There's the Jtek bar end shifter
https://jtekengineering.com/jtek_bar-end_shifter.htm

Some people have worked with Travel Agents and other cable pulleys to alter the indexing of downtube shifters to work. Do a google search for Travel Agents and Shimano Nexus or Alfine to get the idea.
There's talk of the Dynamic's STI type shifter being offered as a separate retail unit in late Spring or Summer.

#6 ·
ukiahb said:
I normally ride a fixie, but for my commute I use a Masi Soulville with an 8 sp Nexus hub and like it a lot, the upright position and twist shifter work really well in downtown traffic. THe gear spacing is less than ideal, but since I normally only have one gear it doesn't seem so bad.
I love that bike......very nice

#10 ·
Until Dynamic/Versa sells the STI-style shifter assembly separately (and I haven't heard anything definitive about if they even will -- I was the first out-of-company tester of the new Synergy road bike), the J-Tek shifter is the best course of action.

If it were me, I'd stick with an 8-speed internal rather than going to a 3-speed. Sounds like you've got a cool project going there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.