Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6'4" and 285. I have been riding mountain bike a little, but the rough terrain is killing me right now, maybe not so bad when I drop some weight, say 60 lbs or so.

I want to get an entry level road bike and I am looking at a Trek 1000. My question is, will it hold my weight? I see the '06 model has carbon seat post and fork, should I look at something different? Will it last with the additional weight load? My LBS has one and says he can make me a good deal, I think I might buy it if I won't break it....

Thanks

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
From a former 270-pounder....

If the terrain is all that's bothering you, ride on pavement. Your mountain bike will work fine for weight loss and aerobics (which I assume is what you're after) with just a change to smaller, higher-pressure tires, or even with the knobbies that came on it. It will be more work, but at this stage of your training, that's not necessarily relevant--calories consumed are calories consumed, whether you're riding 11mph on an MB or 16mph on a road bike.
Somebody else may have specific information on the Trek 1000--I don't know anything about it--but from my experience as a 270-pound roadie (230 now, struggling toward 210, I hope), you'd really be pushing the limits of the wheels, at least. I crushed a lot of wheels, even expertly handbuilt ones, before I switched to 36-spokers for almost all my riding. The gearing also probably isn't ideal for a rider at your stage of training
If I were you, and money or equipment lust weren't driving me, I think I'd continue on the mountain bike for awhile before chose a road bike. You're probably not going very far or fast now (I'm not criticizing--believe me, I've been there), and you'll be surprised how a change of tires will help your MB on the road. Give it a couple of months, and if you're still interested, post again for recommendations.
As for the carbon parts...I wouldn't trust 'em, but I've never used them. If somebody else says they're OK, ignore me.

aboyd said:
I am 6'4" and 285. I have been riding mountain bike a little, but the rough terrain is killing me right now, maybe not so bad when I drop some weight, say 60 lbs or so.

I want to get an entry level road bike and I am looking at a Trek 1000. My question is, will it hold my weight? I see the '06 model has carbon seat post and fork, should I look at something different? Will it last with the additional weight load? My LBS has one and says he can make me a good deal, I think I might buy it if I won't break it....

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, I have been riding my mountain bike on the road with high preasure tires, and have worked up to about 25+ miles per ride. I ride about 14-16mph now. I picked up an old 1985 model Canondale road bike last summer late and put a few miles on it before the temps dropped. I love the feel of the road frame and really enjoy the ride, problem is that I need to replace a few parts on it and really would raher since the money in a newer frame and bike (with easier to find replacement parts). Also, the Cannondale frame is just a little big, it is a 62 or 63...I need more of a 58 or 59. Long story short, I don't want to give up on the mountain bikeing yet and still go with some friends on occaision, but would really like to step up the road riding a little more and want to look at an entry level road bike.

Thanks for the input on the carbon stuff, I think I am going to hit the two LBS's here and get some opinions from them as well. I am sure they will be happy to sell me something, so their opinions are going to lean towards a sale. But I know one of the owners OK and feel he will be honest with me.

Thanks to all you guys for good honest feedback...it helps a lot.

·
Registered
727 Posts
as far as the frame, fork and seatpost, i really wouldn't be concerned. road bikes aren't as fragile as they look. You would have to be extra careful with wheels- get them trued regularly and be careful to avoid potholes. But, I have a budy from my LBS at 250 lbs riding a 5000 stock and he has had no problems. he can also sprint as fast as i can-climbing is a little different story, but the guy is overall a real hammer. I work at a bike shop, which is also a trek dealer, and i would have no problem selling a 1000 to someone of your size. Other than products like certain wheel sets and pedals that have maximum weight recommendations posted, you have no worries. if you are worried, go with a thomson post/stem as great upgrades albeit a bit pricey. If you take any extra precautions, make it about the wheels. Talk to your LBS about options with more resillient rims. But bottom line is that the 1000 will be as good a road bike as any for you to get started with. Keep riding!

·
Registered
543 Posts
First off at 6'4" I think a 58/59cm frame will be a little small for you I'm 6' and my bikes are 58 and 59 cm and fit me well.<p>. Sounds like you are doing pretty well if you can do about 15 mph over 25 miles on a mountain bike. If you have the bug to get a road bike now I would say go for it. I know how I feel when I get the bug for something. I think most road bikes will accomodate your weight especially ones more toward the entry scale. Bikes come with guarantees so I think you are protected there. If you expect to lose a good deal of weight the longer you ride the bike the less chance there will be of problems later on due rider weight. Just be honest with the LBS and, although it is probably not necessary, have them put your current weight on the receipt so they can't claim you gained a lot of weight and broke something. After you lose the weight and maybe get down to the 200 lb range you can look into faster and lighter wheels. Again I would recommend you have the LBS fit the bike for you and take some test rides with different bikes to see which ones feel more comfortable..

·
Registered
543 Posts
aboyd said:
Thanks again for all the input, I took the plunge this morning. Went to the LBS set to buy the Trek 1000, but he had already sold it. I looked around a bit and found a Cannondale R700 with triple chain ring in a 58cm, which is a little taller than the Felt 58cm I tried. I took the Cannondale for a test ride and it fits nicely. The components were much better than the Trek or the Felt, Shimano 105 and Ultegra instead of Sora. It is also a 9 speed instead of an 8. Out the door for $1000, so I only spent another $350 or so....I am pleased.
Very compulsive like myself. Sounds like you got a lot of bike for $1000, Still concerned about a 58cm bike for a 6'4" person but if the "shoe fits" I guess it is OK.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for all the input, I took the plunge this morning. Went to the LBS set to buy the Trek 1000, but he had already sold it. I looked around a bit and found a Cannondale R700 with triple chain ring in a 58cm, which is a little taller than the Felt 58cm I tried. I took the Cannondale for a test ride and it fits nicely. The components were much better than the Trek or the Felt, Shimano 105 and Ultegra instead of Sora. It is also a 9 speed instead of an 8. Out the door for $1000, so I only spent another $350 or so....I am pleased.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
geraldatwork said:
Very compulsive like myself. Sounds like you got a lot of bike for $1000, Still concerned about a 58cm bike for a 6'4" person but if the "shoe fits" I guess it is OK.
Well, I rode a 60cm CDale a while back and it felt a little big. The 58 feels good, however I have short legs for a 6'4" guy, I wear 32" pants, but must have tall shirts to stay tucked in.

·
Registered
440 Posts
have fun .........

Congrats on the new bike! I too am a little surprised at the frame size. I'm 6'3" and ride a 63 cm Cdale. I could ride a 60 cm too but, like you, I have a longer torso and shorter legs and I need a longer top tube. The 58 cm Cdale has a 58 cm top tube, compared to a 60 cm top tube on the 63 cm frame, so that is not too much of a difference. You may find if you ride a lot that you might want to be more stretched out on the 58 cm after a while and could simply be a longer stem.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Yeah

ridewt said:
Congrats on the new bike! I too am a little surprised at the frame size. I'm 6'3" and ride a 63 cm Cdale. I could ride a 60 cm too but, like you, I have a longer torso and shorter legs and I need a longer top tube. The 58 cm Cdale has a 58 cm top tube, compared to a 60 cm top tube on the 63 cm frame, so that is not too much of a difference. You may find if you ride a lot that you might want to be more stretched out on the 58 cm after a while and could simply be a longer stem.

The size surprises me as well, I'm basically 6 feet...actually 5'11 and 3/4", and I ride a 58cm frame...but if it fits you great....good luck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, now I am starting to get worried. The bike seems to fit fine, but I too expected to need a 60cm. The stand over height was too close on the 60, but just fine on the 58. My test ride was only 15 or 20 minutes, but it felt good. The LBS owner said I did not look cramped on the bike as I rode, but I guess I could always get a longer stem if it seems to bother me on long rides. Surely I am not the only 6'4" guy on a 58cm frame I hope......

·
Registered
727 Posts
aboyd said:
Ok, now I am starting to get worried. The bike seems to fit fine, but I too expected to need a 60cm. The stand over height was too close on the 60, but just fine on the 58. My test ride was only 15 or 20 minutes, but it felt good. The LBS owner said I did not look cramped on the bike as I rode, but I guess I could always get a longer stem if it seems to bother me on long rides. Surely I am not the only 6'4" guy on a 58cm frame I hope......
i'm 6'3 and i ride at least a 60-i've ridden a 62 before. But, don't freak out because to each is own. i have super long legs, usually shorten the stem and i weight 170 lbs soaking wet- no two riders are the same. theres factors like length of legs, arms, torso, the ability to lean wayyy forward, and on and on. i would trust the lbs guys over any speculation you get on the board because those guys saw you in real life on the bike and that's really the only way to tell. Besides, since the stand-over on the 60 was close, a 58 with a lil more post and longer stem will accomplish the same thing. i really wouldnt worry about it. happy riding!

·
Registered
114 Posts
aboyd said:
Surely I am not the only 6'4" guy on a 58cm frame I hope......
No you aren't. My road bike is 58cm c-c. It is probably a bit smaller than ideal, but pretty close. I only have a "fistful of seatpost" showing, but then you should see the size of my fist!

It really depends on how much of your 6'4" is legs and how much is torso. I have a long torso, so I can ride a frame with a shorter seat tube if the top tube is long enough.

If you are comfortable on that 58cm frame, don't worry about it!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
aboyd said:
Thanks guys, I feel better. The bike does ride well. Happy riding!!! :D
Besides if you have a 32" inch inseam, then you are probably fine. I started on a Trek 1000 at about 250lbs, and had to upgrade the back wheel, when I hit bumps i would snap a spoke. My advice would be to inspect the rear wheel each time you go out, but the move up in quality will serve you well.

B

1 - 16 of 16 Posts