Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I'm currently riding a Giant OCR3 with the standard components. I'm thinking of purchasing a tri bike frame. What I would like to do is use as many of my road bike parts for now and upgrade them later. I know the handle bars, shifters, and break levels cannot be swapped. What other parts would not be compatible? Does anyone else have any experience doing something like this?

Thanks in advance!

Henry

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,344 Posts
hwangnyc said:
Hi Everyone,
I'm currently riding a Giant OCR3 with the standard components. I'm thinking of purchasing a tri bike frame. What I would like to do is use as many of my road bike parts for now and upgrade them later. I know the handle bars, shifters, and break levels cannot be swapped. What other parts would not be compatible? Does anyone else have any experience doing something like this?

Thanks in advance!

Henry

Your seatpost/stem may also not work for fittings sake.

Also, your fr. der. on a tri-frame will likely be braze on; don't know what you have now. Also Also, you may need longer brake nuts, if your fork/seat stay bridge are deeper than what you have now.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Are you fast enough to be able to actually need a dedicated TT bike, or do you just want one? If you go to sanctioned TT's, you will find that most riders just use their road bikes with aero bars bolted on. There are always a few wankers who have a full blown rig, who poke along at 21-22 mph, but most of the guys that have the TT bikes, are the guys who fly by you at 26-27 mph. (and it's not because of the bike)

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i agree with grump. just get some clip on bars and use those the rest of the year. if you find yourself really into tris, mabe start looking next year. and as you look at what parts you want to be tri/tt specialized, the list keep getting bigger. might be cheaper just to get a dedicated BIKE, not just frame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.