Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lucky enough to be able to ride most days of the week with an unofficial group of "roadies". Most of the members of this group are experienced life-long cyclists of 60 years old or older and most of them have very nice newer road-bikes made up of carbon-fiber, aluminum and titanium, and they wear all of the fashionable cycling clothing too.

This group has no internet presence, no dues, no nothing. It is simply understood that they al meet six days out of the week at a certain spot and time for a large group ride that usually has between one and two-dozen riders.

They usually start out slowly, warm up and then gradually increase their speed, ending up in a long pace-line taking turns at the front. Halfway through the ride some of the faster riders often break away into a smaller group and go on ahead, and of course sometimes some of the slower riders will drop off the main group into a separate group off the back. Everyone has fun.

After each ride many of them will stop at a coffee-shop and bench race for an hour before going home. Some of the riders who live closer ride their bikes to the starting point, some of those who live further away bring their bikes in a motor-vehicle.

They don't ride particularly far, just far enough so that everyone can get the workout they wish, some may lap the route an extra time if they are in the mood for distance, and of course some do part of the ride as an intense interval style.

The main thing is that they are all there every week riding together and have been for years, and plan on it for years into the future.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Where do you live? I want to be in this group!
I am in the Great Lakes area of North America. But a group like this could be started anywhere. The most important thing is for some of the people in it be dedicated enough to show up every day possible so that cyclists learn that it is a real thing that is there to stay and will be there for them when they want it. Pick out a nice route in your area and get all the friends and acquaintances you can in on the ride. Some action photos of one of the group rides;

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Land vehicle

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant Bicycle frame

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant Wheel Bicycle frame

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,867 Posts
I am in the Great Lakes area of North America. But a group like this could be started anywhere. The most important thing is for some of the people in it be dedicated enough to show up every day possible so that cyclists learn that it is a real thing that is there to stay and will be there for them when they want it. Pick out a nice route in your area and get all the friends and acquaintances you can in on the ride. Some action photos of one of the group rides;

View attachment 485272

View attachment 485273

View attachment 485274
Someone isn't wearing their helmet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you still have the obligatory "guy with a Moon saddle" in your group? There ALWAYS used to be one...
I have not seen one of those, but it looks interesting. I actually tried turning my seat around backwards before to get the same effect. Years ago there was a guy on local rides who had one of those seats with two hinged sections that moved with your thigh and he swore by them.

To me the nose of the saddle is to help steady the bike in some situations while it stops against the inside of a thigh, but it's necessity is questionable seeing as it gets into the same space as the family-jewels, there should be a better bike seat design out there. As for me, over thousands of miles ridden this year, I did not have any problems with the traditional saddles on my bikes, and nobody else in this riding group seems to have a problem either despite most all of us being 60+ to 80+ years old. And nobody in the group gives a shit about the other guy's equipment either, and being laid back and easy like that is one of the great things about the group, everyone is welcome.

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
I have not seen one of those, but it looks interesting. I actually tried turning my seat around backwards before to get the same effect. Years ago there was a guy on local rides who had one of those seats with two hinged sections that moved with your thigh and he swore by them.

To me the nose of the saddle is to help steady the bike in some situations while it stops against the inside of a thigh, but it's necessity is questionable seeing as it gets into the same space as the family-jewels, there should be a better bike seat design out there.
People have expressed this sentiment since the "safety" bike appeared in the late 1800s. Literally hundreds of patents on the subject. And despite the "there must be a better design" claim, we still have the same basic saddle we had over 100 years ago. I wonder why that is. Could it be that there really isn't "a better design"? I've been riding since the '60s and there is always a "breakthrough" saddle on the market or coming to the market. They NEVER succeed. A message in that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts