Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will probably ruffle a few feathers with this thread- but maybe those feathers need to be ruffled for some people. It's not an uncommon thing either.

So today on my routine training ride I come a cross a few roadie groups, on my way back home (about 60 min into my ride). The first group was heading the opposite direction, I'm pretty sure I have seen this group a number of times, and every one of them said hi, morning or gave the obligatory nod as I said good morning back.

Group two, was traveling in the same direction as myself, while I wasn't going fast at all, just cruising along in LT zone 2, working on spinups and such. Anyways this group creeps up on my rear wheel, it was only the second shadow I could see while looking at HRM stats that alerted me to the fact that they were there. They slowly passed me, without the blink of an eyelid, no hello, head nod or anything. Not liking the uncomfortable silence- I decided to kick it up a few notches and take off leaving them behind.

I pose this question, the first one- is it that hard to say a hello, a good morning / afternoon or even give the nod of the head while passing someone?

Obviously understandable if you were in the middle of an interval, busting your ass trying to catch someone / the pack etc... But to cruise by someone, you'd been tailing for the last 5kms and not even say hello is down right rude in my opinion.

Second question- why is it some roadies have a snobbery or elitism complex, what makes you guys and girls any better then the guy riding to work, or the lone rider collecting his thoughts during a ride?

Not every roadie is like this, I know a few and they are some of the friendliest riders I have ever met, be it out on the road or in the bar and I am sure there are many, many more out there; it's the odd few that stand out though, who wont even acknowledge your existence- because your not on a $8,000 carbon machine, in full team gear and looking like wank....

[/rant]

-Cul
*a rider of many years experience*

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
CulBaire said:
I will probably ruffle a few feathers with this thread- but maybe those feathers need to be ruffled for some people. It's not an uncommon thing either.

So today on my routine training ride I come a cross a few roadie groups, on my way back home (about 60 min into my ride). The first group was heading the opposite direction, I'm pretty sure I have seen this group a number of times, and every one of them said hi, morning or gave the obligatory nod as I said good morning back.

Group two, was traveling in the same direction as myself, while I wasn't going fast at all, just cruising along in LT zone 2, working on spinups and such. Anyways this group creeps up on my rear wheel, it was only the second shadow I could see while looking at HRM stats that alerted me to the fact that they were there. They slowly passed me, without the blink of an eyelid, no hello, head nod or anything. Not liking the uncomfortable silence- I decided to kick it up a few notches and take off leaving them behind.

I pose this question, the first one- is it that hard to say a hello, a good morning / afternoon or even give the nod of the head while passing someone?

Obviously understandable if you were in the middle of an interval, busting your ass trying to catch someone / the pack etc... But to cruise by someone, you'd been tailing for the last 5kms and not even say hello is down right rude in my opinion.

Second question- why is it roadies have a snobbery or elitism complex, what makes you guys and girls any better then the guy riding to work, or the lone rider collecting his thoughts during a ride?

Not every roadie is like this, I know a few and they are some of the friendliest riders I have ever met, be it out on the road or in the bar and I am sure there are many, many more out there; it's the odd few that stand out though, who wont even acknowledge your existence- because your not on a $8,000 carbon machine, in full team gear and looking like wank....

[/rant]

-Cul
Right. The original questions-those nobody has had the guts to ask before-always ruffle feathers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
il sogno said:
Did you mean to post this in the General Forum? Maybe Hoo will move it.
Maybe so- I figured it was more of a social thing then bike related as such. Hence putting it in "The Lounge", by all means should be moved it if the mods feel it should be in "General". :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
this is kinda funny, because the second group probably saw it like "we were just riding along, slowly passed another rider, and he spazzed and sprinted away. what a fred!"
if you want to be in a social group, join in on the group rides. otherwise, road riding is a relatively lonely hobby with minimal interaction. also, why is it that you expected the group to say hello to you first? you didn't think to say anything to them to break the ice as they etched past you. can't have your cake and eat it too.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
cmatcan said:
this is kinda funny, because the second group probably saw it like "we were just riding along, slowly passed another rider, and he spazzed and sprinted away. what a fred!"
if you want to be in a social group, join in on the group rides. otherwise, road riding is a relatively lonely hobby with minimal interaction. also, why is it that you expected the group to say hello to you first? you didn't think to say anything to them to break the ice as they etched past you. can't have your cake and eat it too.
Agreed. I think I would have just pulled in and sucked wheel for a while. Pull away? sounds like a lot of effort on a pack... unless you're Merckx or Lance... or Julich... or Bubba... or ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cmatcan said:
I understand road riding is a lonely hobby / pastime / training means. I have been on many 4hr to 6hr rides with nothing but the wind to keep me company. I also race endurance mountain bike (solo) pretty competitively, so a lot of my riding is done alone.

As for the breaking the ice- I said good morning to the group of four riders, as simply put it was a beautiful morning to be out on the bike. I got no response, not even a look. I sat behind them for a while, maybe 3 or 4kms and then disappeared. It's not like I just up and sprinted at first sight.

·
Registered
727 Posts
well, youre changing your explanation now. in your original post you never mentioned that you said hello to the group and you were still ignored. also, you made it sound like you took off right away. that is what my first response was based on.
based on your further explanation, it does sound like the group was a bit snobby. i still think you're making too much out of it though. problem is, those riders likely haven't given the encounter a second thought and you're busy making posts about it. it's obvious who's winning that mental battle :) are some roadies snobs? absolutely!! there are the ones that half-wheel ya on group rides, the ones that draft off of you and then attack on training rides, and even the ones who won't talk to you if you don't have a french or italian accent!?!

you just have to start looking at ackonwledgement and cooperation on the road as a bonus, not an expectation, or else you'll go nuts. also, it makes you start taking a very thoughtful, meaningful action for granted. if you get pissed when someone doesn't say hellow or wave, that means you just accept it as a given when someone does. live for the bad, long for the good. and keep riding your legs off! (esp. on those solo mtb's, i race a rigid ss unit)

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
just because you wear the same goofy clothes doesnt mean your part of a secret society. cyclists are just everyday people in bike shorts. there are nice ones and there are rude ones. even if someone rides by and says nothing ill usually ride up and say hi and chat for a while. sometimes people just dont wanna talk, and there really isnt anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cmatcan said:
!

you just have to start looking at ackonwledgement and cooperation on the road as a bonus, not an expectation, or else you'll go nuts. also, it makes you start taking a very thoughtful, meaningful action for granted. if you get pissed when someone doesn't say hellow or wave, that means you just accept it as a given when someone does. live for the bad, long for the good. and keep riding your legs off! (esp. on those solo mtb's, i race a rigid ss unit)
Maybe I am making too much of it- the original intension of my post was to point out just how different cycling culture is within the sport itself... It turned into a rant, and I really ended up quiet a bit of topic. Appologies for the rant :)

Cmatcan, you'd notice what I am talking about- down here if you are on a mountain bike you say hi to everyone you pass on the trail and they do the same in return. In my experience you can walk upto any given mtb rider (inc most pro's) at a race and ask them about their gear and they'll be more then happy to chat your ear off provided they have time. There is no real "Elitesm or Snobbery" such as that in road riding.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
CulBaire said:

Second question- why is it some roadies have a snobbery or elitism complex, what makes you guys and girls any better then the guy riding to work, or the lone rider collecting his thoughts during a ride?

[/rant]

-Cul

Why you nipplenosed doork.

The term is CYCLIST not "roadie"

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
What's the angle/height of your seatpost?

General is littered with threads like these.

Perhaps you intimidated them? Perhaps they weren't from the area? Perhaps you didn't hear their head nods? Who knows?

Social norms are just that, but you can't always expect to be acknowledged. When you go shopping, and you're standing in line, do you always say 'hi' to the person in front of you, or behind you? But why? You're performing the same activity... No, cause your head is wrapped up in your day.

What I find a little surprising is that you claim you've been ridin' for years, and yet you've just now experienced this non-slight? I'd say that's a pretty good run, wouldn't you?

Anyway, it isn't good is to make this a roadie vs. mtbr thang. Why perpetuate that stupidity?

Now go readjust your seatpost.;)

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Ditto That Colker1

CulBaire said:

[/rant]

-Cul
I get it too, I'll be out for a routine spin, and there's a few groups all dressed up in roadie regailia, team jerseys and all. And they just turn there nose up at you. And that's after you've said a friendly hello, or gave the nod of the head. Pisses me off it does. We all ride bikes and the more of us the better, but there is indeed bike snobs out there. Now if you were at a mtn bike race, or especially Cross. Everybody is your buddy, comraderie galore, buch of nuts in bike shorts racing road bikes in the mud. As far as the Roadie's, (definition?) If your not on a nice steed, (which I am) you get the snub.

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
Ask MB1 about acknowledgement

but be forewarned, you may not like the answer.

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
CulBaireCmatcan said:
Offroad riders don't have to constantly be aware of oncoming traffic coming up from behind. They don't carry the what-if fear that roadies do which may somewhat explain why roadies don't give you the same attention that a MTBer'll give you.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
I'm a spaz. I say "good morning" regardless of what time it is. Automatically. And if it's late in the afternoon, I always engage in this internal dialog where my self conscious Ren sezs "you idiot" to my subconcious Stimpy. I am smart enough to keep that exchange internal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm --

Ruffle some feathers. It's "you're" not "your." That and "alot" really curls my hair.

You sound like you're in an urban environment (you're). From a sociological perspective, the denser the population the more anonimity people tend to effect in terms of "personal space." E.g. when you're out in the desolated boonies (you're) and you meet someone, greetings are typically exchanged. People out on their tractor in the pasture wave at me when I ride by.

In an urban environment, because there are so many people, greetings are generally opted out. Otherwise you'd be waving and greeting and not getting much else done.

An aside here -- I used to work out in the gym at the university. I'd watch students on stationary bikes, reading some text for a class and listening to music on ear buds. I'd bet they weren't doing a very attentive job in the reading. The music was probably little more than "audio wallpaper," and the riding was pretty mechanical and not very aerobically complex (in terms of form, cadence, LT, etc.)

My point here being that if you're going to ride, ride (you're again). If you're out to greet people, get a job standing at the door in a Wal-Mart.

There's been times in a pace-line where I just want to ride, focus on the ride, appreciate the countyside. Not that I'm being anti-social (asocial), but more that having sat a couple hours on the machine, I'm focused on riding, not visiting.

In a "crowded" environment, it's nice sometimes to just acknowledge that I'm in my space doing my ride, and I'm not out on the road to visit.

Not "snob" I don't think, just focused on the ride and saving the energy for the miles. I'm pretty sure I've tagged onto the end of a paceline and ridden miles where no one in the group said anything. We're all just riding. That speaks for itself sometimes.

So, visit in The Lounge. Ride on the road. (We call them "roadies" here.)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts