Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
cyclocrosser/mt biker
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay guys, yesterday I brought a set of irc road bike tires for my cross bike from my lbs, and last night while mounting them up, I noticed that I ended up buying one 25c tire, and one 23c tire. So I wanted to know if this would cause some sort of inbalance, and make the bike ride differently. If so do you guys think I should try to return the 25c tire and get a 23c tire in exchhange. I did not pay attention to what tires I was picking up becasue they had all the different sizes on the same hook, which they shouldn't have done. Anyways, thanks for you input.
Dave

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Return 'em both for 28s....

I doubt you'll notice any difference in the ride or handling, though theoretically there is one. Unless the mismatch bothers you, I wouldn't worry about it. It's fairly common in mountain biking (or at least it used to be when I did a lot of it) to run bigger tires in front, so that if one end of the bike slides, it's the end you can manage. On a road bike, I'd probably fret about whether to put the big tire in back (which carries more of my weight) or in front, for a slightly cushier ride and more traction.
In any case, though, if you weigh more than about 140, you'd probably be happier on bigger tires than either of those. Take them both back and swap them for 28s....

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
This is a prime reason this forums should never have been renamed - "The Lounge" means nothing.

To answer your question, I wouldn't worry about it. And no matter what Cory says, 23 and 25 mm tires are fine - I use 23s on both of my bikes and don't find them uncomfortable at all.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
This is a prime reason this forums should never have been renamed - "The Lounge" means nothing.

To answer your question, I wouldn't worry about it. And no matter what Cory says, 23 and 25 mm tires are fine - I use 23s on both of my bikes and don't find them uncomfortable at all.

The last guy that stumbled into the lounge and asked about tires? J's held him down, Scotty stuck a bunch of duct tape to his butt, and Old Ed ripped it off.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
thinkcooper said:
The last guy that stumbled into the lounge and asked about tires? J's held him down, Scotty stuck a bunch of duct tape to his butt, and Old Ed ripped it off.
That is very, extremely true.

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
Since we're on a bike topic.

I need to buy a seat leveler. OES always preached to get the Record or DuraAce level one. I really can't afford that level so would the Ultegra or Chorus be just as good? Could I even think about the Centaur one? I just want to perfect my fit fit fit for my bit bit bits. :D

TIA

Pb

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
If I hadda guess, I'd say the OP was trying to post in General, but got the drop-down wrong and didn't realize it. Now as to why he'd think General was the place for it, well...

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
If I hadda guess, I'd say the OP was trying to post in General, but got the drop-down wrong and didn't realize it. Now as to why he'd think General was the place for it, well...
My thoughts exactly. This should've gone in either "Wheels and Tires" or "Cyclecross".

That said, welcome to the Lounge, trek_fuji. Have a look around and make some small talk. Put your feets up and have a cold one. :)

·
cyclocrosser/mt biker
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I weigh about 135, but I am going to keep the tires, becasue someone threw out the packages, and I think the 25 would be more comfortable in the rear. I rode the bike last night, and the bike felt a lot quicker than it did with the cross tires that were on it. Also the reason why I posted in the wrong form was I did not see the wheels and tires form. Otherwise thanks for the help.
Dave

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Yeah, roadie tires make a huge difference over 'cross ones....just like putting slicks on a mt. bike. Glad it worked out ok!

We weren't trying to aggravate you, I can understand why you posted here.

BTW, you need to eat. You're too skinny.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Yeah, roadie tires make a huge difference over 'cross ones....just like putting slicks on a mt. bike. Glad it worked out ok!

We weren't trying to aggravate you, I can understand why you posted here.

BTW, you need to eat. You're too skinny.
Quit stalking the noob, moreon. This is moved outta the Lounge an'all.

·
cyclocrosser/mt biker
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rogger said:
Quit stalking the noob, moreon. This is moved outta the Lounge an'all.
Thanks for the inputs and comments. Yesterday I ended up doing a 40 mile ride, and the tires felt fine, and so much better than the cross tires did. About the eating part, that is not the first time I have heard that. I am also a regular on mtbr, so that is why it took me a while to respond to this thread. Also wish me luck, becasue I am doing my first mountain bike race on sunday. Thanks for the help.
Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts