Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Specialized Tarmac SL Wear Points ?!?

I am looking at buying a used bike that has about 200 hours on it and that equates to about 2000 miles +. It is a specialized Tarmac S-works 08 is this a problem amount of hours does it really matter as long as the bike has been maintained? It has been raced about a dozen times but never crashed and looks really good.

What are the main wear points to look for?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
2000 miles is nothing...check the frame for damage, see if there is any indication that it has gone down, no matter what anyone says..if it was well maintained it is almost like brand new..it might be due for new tires and a new chain coming up quick. Or you can do that after you get it and start from zero.

Go over the frame with a fine tooth comb, use a flashlight if you have to. I did that when I took delivery of my new carbon bike. Look for ripples or bulges in the paint. You could bring it in to a bike shop, but they will charge you. If you have any doubts, that would be the way to go...

good luck.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,331 Posts
So long as a 2008 bike has been well maintained-with that kind of low mileage figure-you should be fine, presuming it has not been jept outside in n 8 ft deep swamp. Check feel of bearings, and shifters, and also chain length for stretch.

Many folk on this forum have high-end 5-figure mileages on their toys, just for reference.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
2000 miles is nothing...
Other than maybe needing a chain, it should be fine if hasn't been crashed an looks clean. I've got 3200 miles on my '08 Tarmac SL, and other than the usual chain and tires, all I've done is re-grease the headset bearing cups. Didn't really need to be done, but where I ride is pretty dusty, and I try to take good care of my bikes. Maybe check the front and rear wheel drop outs to make sure the haven't been damaged by sloppy wheel exchanges (fortunately, unlike on some previous Specialized bikes, they're not painted, so even this isn't really an issue). Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Ryder88 said:
I am looking at buying a used bike that has about 200 hours on it and that equates to about 2000 miles +. It is a specialized Tarmac S-works 08 is this a problem amount of hours does it really matter as long as the bike has been maintained? It has been raced about a dozen times but never crashed and looks really good.

What are the main wear points to look for?
If it's been used at all as intended, 200 hours would mean something more like 4000 miles, or half the time for the 2000 miles.

If it's the lower miles, it's a 'little ol' lady drove it to church on Sundays' bike, and should be fine. If it's the lower time, it might be looking for a new chain and/or brake pads, both of which are inexpensive. Might also want to check that the wheels are running true and spinning smoothly, though it's likely only maintenance if they aren't.

The frame itself won't have any age effects, though it's worth looking over closely for any evidence of damage. Even though it's not been crashed, that doesn't mean that it wasn't on the roof rack when someone drove into their garage, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.