Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought a set of Cannondale Theta brakes in a nice matte black. They were inexpensive (ebay) but look and work great.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Yeah, but for some reason I got the feeling he didn't want to spend that much. After years of trying all kinds of brakes I've come to the conclusion that almost anything will work well with the right pads. Even cheapo, stamped, long reach side pulls on my fixie (only one brake up front) work fine with Kool Stop salmons.

· Registered
210 Posts
I have the cheaper Tektro's and I just went to the black Koolstop pads. My local LBS didn't have the salmon colored ones and the black one's were $6.50 a pair so I thought I would just try those. They have made a huge difference. So much so I put off replacing the brakes themselves.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Campagnolo brakes and Shimano levers don't mix well.

gmcastil said:
Wow. I can't believe everyone missed the obvious.

Mavic SSC and Campagnolo Record brake calipers are both black and work a ton better than the rest of the field.
Campagnolo brake calipers and Shimano levers don't mix well. Oh, they stop just as well as with matching calipers & levers; but Campagnolo calipers don't have quick releases (Campagnolo quick releases are on the levers) and Shimano levers dont' have quick releases (Shimano quick releases are the calipers). So if you mix Campagnolo calipers and Shimano levers, you might have to deflate the tires to get to take the wheels off.

· Martini time?
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mark McM said:
Campagnolo brake calipers and Shimano levers don't mix well. Oh, they stop just as well as with matching calipers & levers; but Campagnolo calipers don't have quick releases (Campagnolo quick releases are on the levers) and Shimano levers dont' have quick releases (Shimano quick releases are the calipers). So if you mix Campagnolo calipers and Shimano levers, you might have to deflate the tires to get to take the wheels off.
Good point, I need these new brakes for my fixed gear, I hated the no-name brakes that came on it, and I was thinking of going back to single speed instead of fixed and wanted a better set. It has Tektro levers with some sort of reach adjustment on the side, I don't like them either but they'll be sticking around until I'm sick of the bar tape.

· Registered
192 Posts
Vote for Mavic

gmcastil said:
Wow. I can't believe everyone missed the obvious.

Mavic SSC and Campagnolo Record brake calipers are both black and work a ton better than the rest of the field.
I've got the Mavic SSC's mixed with the rest of my Campy Chorus gruppo. No problems...and this comes from a guy who's ridden this combo as I've gone from 245 lbs to 210 lbs. These brakes are solid!

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
I'd suggest a new set of pads before investing in new brakes. You will probably be pleasantly surprised. Try Kool Stop salmons. Around $12 and just a couple of minutes to install. You've got very little to lose and much to gain. Even if you're not satisfied you've probably got another bike the pads will work on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.