Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see some road cyclists, very few though, on the road without wearing a jersey.
Have you done this before? Did you just want a nice even tan? What other
reason for not riding with a jersey? I'm thinking if the guy wipes out he's gonna
have some serious road rash all over his upper body.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I ride with a guy that will do that when the temperature creeps up over 90F with lots of humidity. He generates a bunch of B.O too, so don't draft him!

I would never do it, though I have ridden in a cotton shirt back when I first started riding.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Lartymarf said:
I see some road cyclists, very few though, on the road without wearing a jersey.
Have you done this before? Did you just want a nice even tan? What other
reason for not riding with a jersey? I'm thinking if the guy wipes out he's gonna
have some serious road rash all over his upper body.

Hell no. I have the upper body of a 10 year old girl. And, I am very proud of my cyclist's tan. In fact, I wear a shirt on the rare occasions when I go to the beach just to protect my very white chest and upper arms.

I am one of the most tolerant people you ever will find when it comes to cycling attire. I will ride with Freds, Poseurs and everything in between. I'll ride with you if you are wearing tennis shoes,a t-shirt and cutoffs or if you are wearing a team kit with matching gloves, socks and bike. But, not wearing a shirt is over the line for me. It's just wrong.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
As a fred who commutes with a small camelback, I wouldn't want to explain the really funky white outline on my back. I wear baggy underarmor t-shirts about half of the time on my commute. Today I wore a jersey, but it is one of the Voler hiviz yellow jerseys with reflective stripes. I wear SPD sandals everyday, my tanlines are the least of my concerns.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Naw.

I won't even go sleeveless jersey.

Look, unless you're some kind of ape, keeping the sun NOT directly touching your skin, wearing a wicking fabric, is cooler than shirtless.

I tried a sleeveless jersey twice, long ago, and was surprised that it was hotter than a short-sleeve.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
I like riding without a shirt on to let my man boobs get a little tan and jiggle around to impress the babes.

Seriously, riding a bike without a shirt is about as slick as riding a motorcycle with flip flops.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Haven't worn a jersey in >5 years, probably never will

I used to wear them, and still have a few in the drawer. At least around here, though, the image of arrogant roadie pr!ck has so dominated the roads that I've completely stopped dressing like a cyclist.
I wear T-shirts (CoolMax ones on long rides) and mountain bike shorts for everything from Starbucks runs to centuries. I see a big difference in the way drivers react to me dressed that way and the way they react to other riders in their superhero outfits. I almost never get cut off or brushed back, and people often hold off making a turn, for instance, and motion me to go ahead. Two friends who dress the way I do say the same thing, and others who embrace the NASCAR Pontiac look, on the same roads at the same speeds, are constantly complaining about rude or aggressive drivers. It's a small sample, but there it is.
Plus that look-at-ME stuff is just embarrassing. It's like putting on pads to play catch with your kids in the park.

·
Banned
476 Posts
its ok to

bigrider said:
I like riding without a shirt on to let my man boobs get a little tan and jiggle around to impress the babes.

Seriously, riding a bike without a shirt is about as slick as riding a motorcycle with flip flops.
it is OK to ride your motorcycle in flip flops
easpecially if you're tough enough to up shift with the top of your bare foot

but riding a road bike without a shirt - forget it

·
Registered
319 Posts
Funny that you mention this. As I was leaving my office for lunch, I saw a guy ride by that wasn't wearing a jersey. I didn't see what kind of bike he was riding due to a tall hedge, but he was wearing a fancy Giro helmet. Not for me, but whatever floats his boat.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I don't ride shirtless, but could not care less if others do. I still wear cotton T's on short rides, but have become a real believer in high-tech wicking fabrics for longer efforts. I little water sprayed on the back becomes a great cooling radiator in the summer heat without sticking to the skin like cotton does.

Reasons to wear a jersey-

1. Visibility (esp. hi-viz yellow or green)
2. Wicking fabric- yes there is an advantage over cotton
3. Skin protection- vs sun, small gravel flyers, road rash in a crash
4. Pockets- for energy bars, extra bottles, small gear, etc.

Others have used matching jerseys to help regroup their pack on long (century +), crowded events.

FWIW- One of the strongest male riders in a local club rides trainers shirtless when it's over 85-90 degrees. Stronger female riders seem reluctant to follow this fashion trend, however.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Must be tough climbing hills with that big ol' chip on your shoulder :wink:

Cory said:
I used to wear them, and still have a few in the drawer. At least around here, though, the image of arrogant roadie pr!ck has so dominated the roads that I've completely stopped dressing like a cyclist.
I wear T-shirts (CoolMax ones on long rides) and mountain bike shorts for everything from Starbucks runs to centuries. I see a big difference in the way drivers react to me dressed that way and the way they react to other riders in their superhero outfits. I almost never get cut off or brushed back, and people often hold off making a turn, for instance, and motion me to go ahead. Two friends who dress the way I do say the same thing, and others who embrace the NASCAR Pontiac look, on the same roads at the same speeds, are constantly complaining about rude or aggressive drivers. It's a small sample, but there it is.
Plus that look-at-ME stuff is just embarrassing. It's like putting on pads to play catch with your kids in the park.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
No way I could go "shirtless"..........

......the townsfolk would be after me with pitchforks and torches. All the kids would be cryin' and, well.....it would just upset too many people. So, I usually just wear cotton t-shirts with the sleeves cut off.

~ but I do prefer to go "sockless" :thumbsup:

·
What it is
705 Posts
Sunburn!

Besides horrifying people, I would need to lube the entire torso because, otherwise, I would turn red and crispy inside of an hour.

I have some muted mountain bike jerseys and some plain dryfit t-shirts (from the BigBox) to use when I don't want to look like a road warrior.

Ken

·
Registered
149 Posts
I beleive the jersey is there to keep you cool. I even wear a undershirt under my jersey and that helps me stay cool when its get hot. Your undershirt gets wet and the wind through your jersey hit the wet undershirt and has a cooling effect. If your worried about a tan go to the booth...

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Showin off my bibs.

Bibs are way cooler than shorts, but nobody can tell how cool I am if I wear a shirt.

I ride shirtless on the stand - makin less laundry is a good plan - and, when the rain starts on a hot day, I sometimes take my shirt off so it doesn't get a brown stripe up the back. Other than that, I wear a shirt.

I can't believe people can say they feel hotter or cooler with sleeves or sleeveless. How do they test this? Do they allow for different materials or is it just their biceps that feel cooler when they're covered? Have they gone out with both and changed mid-ride or did they cut sleeves off a shirt on a hot day only to feel even hotter? I have a sleeveless shirt and mostly wear it for commuting, but I have no clue at all if I feel hotter or colder than I do in a short sleeve shirt.

·
Registered
162 Posts
:cool: I wear a soaked (but wringed-out) UnderArmor shirt under my bibs & cycling jersey to keep me cool...cold at first when you first put in on, but great when temperatures are hitting summer levels....I also keep one of my water bottles full of cool water to squirt down my front & back to refresh the effect.:cool:

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
According to "das experts," -- at least, every training book I've read -- having a jersey and a baselayer to slide against one another can stop a lot of road rash.

I know the times I've hit the pavement in the past year, I've gotten pretty rashed up on the arms and calves, but the torso was pretty okay. I know the limbs take more of it anyhow, but my shoulders and back did take a good whack. Meh, I dunno, road rash sucks.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Funny, just yesterday I was contemplating going out for a quick spin without a shirt but decided against it. I try to avoid too much sun. I wouldn't mind wearing a coolmax shirt but I like having jersey pockets to carry my epi-pen (bee allergies).

I refuse to wear the billboard style jerseys though. It's just not my style. I have a longsleeve and a shortsleeve jersey, both are plain bright yellow for visability.

One question though. What's the deal with how jerseys are sized? I can barely get my forearms into my longsleeve jersey and it's an xl. Same with the short sleeve one. I'm not what you'd call husky or even very muscular either.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.