Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Is there any "aftermarket" road disc forks with thru-axles instead of QR's? And i'm being specific to road forks, not cross forks. I know ENVE had their recent recall of their disc forks but I believe they were QR.

I know there's a whole discussion on disc brakes for road bikes but I know one thing that is an issue is quick release or thru axles and was just curious if there are any forks with through axles.

It seems to me that through axles helps a more secure and sure fit whereas a QR may lend to scraping of the rotor or whatnot.

Love to hear what you guys think and say.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I have the enve CX fork on my gravel bike. It was not subject to the recall and I'm using a thru-axle solution. No downside to the CX fork which supports wheels larger than 28mm something you may want if the bike will be used off road or in winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I saw they have a CX fork. I'm looking for more of a road only application such as training and crit racing. Does a CX fork have certain dimensions that don't make it suitable for road?

·
Registered
150 Posts
If my memory is working, here's some things to consider.

- Most CX forks have a longer axle to crown length to accommodate wider tires. The length difference can affect the effective head angle, which in turn affects trail. The differences might or might not be noticeable when riding.

- Most CX head tube lengths are shorter than those on most road bikes. The longer head tube length on the road bike combined with the longer fork can put you in a more upright position.

- Aftermarket CX forks generally don't offer as many fork rake options.

You still might be able to find the right combination to get what you are looking for. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Yeah I saw they have a CX fork. I'm looking for more of a road only application such as training and crit racing. Does a CX fork have certain dimensions that don't make it suitable for road?
No. I use my CX bike with 25mm race tires and do aggressive riding and it's fine.

That doesn't mean throwing a CX fork on a road bike would be a good idea though. The fork and frame need to work with each other and there might be something about a CX fork dimensions that make it not work well with a particular road bike (as the two most recent posters covered). But there's nothing wrong with a CX fork on the road per se.

edit to add: As far as I know the answer to your original question is: No. Not certain though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.