Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm looking into getting a Road ID wrist band to run and bike with so when I do something stupid or something happens to me, I may survive and it got me thinking. What do you all carry with you in case you someone get knocked out or can't speak so you can be identified? Right now, I wrap a few dollars around my license and rubber band all of that to my phone but I feel like something on my wrist would be a better idea.

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it had to be a good idea but wasn't sure if there was something else out there that cyclists were using instead.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Used to just put my license and a CC in my seat pack with a $20. Got a RoadId as a Christmas gift. Wear it on every ride now. Good quality and rather inexpensive. +1

·
Registered
2 Posts
RoadID, driver's license and medical card. I busted up my face last summer in a crash and when the emergency room attendant started asking for info, I just handed them the license and med card. Got my son a RoadID braclet too.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I wear one of these containers on a nylon cord around my neck -

View attachment 275577

Mini Containers - Lee Valley Tools

Inside, is a piece of paper with all my contact info on it.

To the people who carry them in their under-saddle bag, in jersey pockets and around wrists - make it easy for emergency personnel to find your ID. Your bike might not (ok, WILL not) make it to the hospital with you. Your jersey (and its pockets and contents) probably won't make it there either. Paramedics are not going to check in your little bag and probably not your jersey pockets either. There's a very good chance that you're not going to get separated from your head and neck so that's where to put it. Hands and wrists are less certain. I'm a retired emergency first-responder and and know that when speed is of the essence it's best to have your ID right on your chest. It will get seen there.

Oh and by the way - if you live in NY state and you're on a riding vacation in UT and staying at the Shady Glades Motel where your wife is reading by the pool with her feet up while you're out riding - just think of your current situation and carry ID accordingly. If I'm away from home I even have my car ID (make, color, license #, location) around my neck too.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I got hit by a car 2 months ago. No cars on the road but the one that hit me.

I could barely say my name never mind a contact phone number or name. I have a black wrist Road ID, but I just ordered a red one as well. Black is blending in way to much. They barely look at your wrist for the ID, but will because they take your pulse.

BTW, the ambulance will never look at the interactive one online for your stuff, they are too busy trying to get you to the hospital.

Get the road id.

·
///M Racer.
43 Posts
RoadID and cell phone!
Recent true story, Friend and fellow cyclist recently got into an accident in Chatham NJ where he was knocked unconscious. Bicyclist Seriously Hurt in Crash, Cops Say - Chatham, NJ Patch The cops took him to the local Morristown hospital as a "John Doe" cyclist. Joe Battista never wore a helmet at 62 years of age and he's an avid cyclist. No ID on his person whatsoever! When night fell and Joe wasn't home his wife and son started calling local police and hospitals. Finally after 8 hours of Joe being missing they found out he was in Morristown Hospital. Needless to say Joe regrets what happened and is paying a dear price. He currently in therapy for speech and mobility and may never cycle again as he suffered massive head and brain trauma. There's much debate as to what happened and who's at fault but here is some of the latest. WalkBikeJersey Blog: Cyclist ticketed for riding in Chatham shoulder in serious left-hook crash

Bottom line, wear RoadID!! Do it for your family.

·
Registered
368 Posts
-License
-Debit card
-A few bills
-MetroCard
-Cellphone

In a ziploc bag stuffed in my jersey pocket.

A road ID would mean I didn't have to dis-assemble my wallet every ride for my ID. Maybe I should grab one.

·
Registered
345 Posts
-License
-Debit card
-A few bills
-MetroCard
-Cellphone

In a ziploc bag stuffed in my jersey pocket.

A road ID would mean I didn't have to dis-assemble my wallet every ride for my ID. Maybe I should grab one.
RoadID sounds like a good idea, and I may look at getting one, but for an ultra-cheap and quick solution I just made a photocopy of my license and medical ID. I wrote in my emergency contact in red pen around the periphery, cut out both the cards and placed them back to back, then put some packaging tape over both sides. Bam, laminated ID card with contact and medical info. One that stays attached on the outside of my saddle bag, the other in the jersey. This thread got me thinking about keeping it more visible though.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
I always wear my RoadID (red band) when I ride.

Usually have my cell phone too - my wife is listed after the prefix "ICE".

Between those two, I suspect the hospital, if not the first responders, will be able to find out who I am and who to contact.

I have the Interactive version - so can list a number of contacts - that way the hospital can find the closest. I'd advise a red, yellow or pink band as they stand out more.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I printed emergency contact information including phone numbers of family members, date of birth, blood type, daily blood pressure meds and amounts, no known drug allergies on a piece of paper and laminated it. Also carry drivers license, insurance cards, and other photo ID. In a ziplock in jersey pocket. If you're still conscious when they throw you in the meat wagon, the EMTs will still ask you for all of the information that's on the card anyway.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
RoadID is one of those perfect products - simple, easy, cheap, and it just works. For what we all spend on gear for this activity, I think you'd be a fool not to get one.

That said, if I'm riding somewhere away from home, I'll put contact information for where I'm staying (and where my partner is) in my pocket as well. Last year in Spain, I didn't think the RoadID would be a huge use (though I wore it anyway), so I printed off a page with my hotel name and number, partner's name, and my nationality, and had it in both Catalan and English.

Bottom line, whatever you do, make it as easy as possible for them to ID you, help you (allergies/meds/key history), and contact someone who can do the freaking out for you.

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After seeing all of the quick replies, I guess I'm going to finally pony up and order one before bed now.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.