Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to get a little more serious about my picture taking. I thought I would do a theme rather than a ride report. Just a little information.

No animals were harmed further during the shooting of these pictures.
These pictures were taken in the span of two weeks.
No animals were moved or manipulated for the shots.
Reality is messy sometimes.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Yikes. The opossom made me laugh. I guess I'm sick. I don't think I'll be showing these pics to my wife any time soon. But, I may have to pass this around amongst friends. Good report. . .if not a little creepy.

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Nice fresh kill!

I rarely see smaller road kill on my commute, but dead deer are a common sight. It amazes me how fast turkey vultures can pick a deer carcass clean. A few weeks ago, I saw a pretty fresh deer carcass near my house when I was leaving on a ride. The turkey vultures just were beginning to pick at it. When I returned two hours later all that was left was bones. Unless the Baltimore County birds stay away from your neck of the woods, my guess is none of your furry friends were dead more than an hour when you snapped them.

· Hoopy Frood
706 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
Why is it that most people avoid cute fuzzy critters, and purposely run over snakes?
Seems like a pretty high "furry critter to snake" ratio in those pics.

Are you sure that possum was really dead?

Aside from missing a raccoon and a skunk, you've pretty much captured the roadkill diversity I see around SE Pennsylvania. I haven't seen a turtle yet this year, though.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
road kill strategies?

Well, as long as you brought it up, maybe we should discuss road kill strategies.

1. Approaching road kill -- hold breath for 30 seconds to avoid smell? May not work climbing hard.

2. If in path, hit it, bunny hop or swerve?

3. Stare at it or look away?

4. Call it out to pace liners, or let them deal with it?

5. Remove it?

6. Substitute for power bars if bonking?

7. Bonus points for observing hawk picking up road kill?

8. Bonus points for actually seeing it hit by vehicle?

9. Penalty points for actually hitting it and killing it?

10. Big time bonus points for finding turtle on road, stopping, picking it up, and setting off road. (Although, probably will return to road and get run over, but we can only do so much.)

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Fixed said:
Well, as long as you brought it up, maybe we should discuss road kill strategies.

1. Approaching road kill -- hold breath for 30 seconds to avoid smell? May not work climbing hard.

You probably do not need 30 seconds, but 10 seconds is a good idea. I rarely see roadkill on climbs. Most of the roadkill I see are in flat areas where cars travel at a greater speed.

2. If in path, hit it, bunny hop or swerve?

Swerve. My bunny hop skills are not very good.

3. Stare at it or look away?

I usually look away. Especially if it is a domestic animal, such as a dog or cat.

4. Call it out to pace liners, or let them deal with it?

I usually give a hand signal for any obstacle that I see if I am in a pace line. No reason to exclude dead animals.

5. Remove it?

No. Where would I put it? In my jersey pocket? Further, why would I deprive other animals of a good dinner?

6. Substitute for power bars if bonking?

I probably would eat road kill before I ate a Power Bar. I am a Clif Bar partisan.

7. Bonus points for observing hawk picking up road kill?

I usually see hawks and other birds nibbling on the road kill. The only road kill that I ever have seen a bird pick up was a dead snake.

8. Bonus points for actually seeing it hit by vehicle?

The very few times that I actually have seen a vehicle hit an animal have been somewhat traumatic. I really do not like to see actual hits.

9. Penalty points for actually hitting it and killing it?

If the animal is big enough, you don't need any penalty points. What you need is first aid or a bike repair. On last year's Mountains of Misery, a deer and a rider collided. http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/163355 I was a minute or two behind -- the deer was still alive on the road when I passed by. Again, I don't want to see something like that.

10. Big time bonus points for finding turtle on road, stopping, picking it up, and setting off road. (Although, probably will return to road and get run over, but we can only do so much.)
Definitely. I can remember when I was about 6 years old and we were staying at the beach, my father came upon a turtle in the road, picked it up and brought it back to the house. We then put it in the yard and it ambled off, hopefully not back into the road.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
Weird. Good, quality photos. Still, weird......That possum just looked like he was day-dreaming. This morning I passed by the flattened corpse of a chipmunk that I'd seen on my main road about a hundred times over the past few months, each time narrowly escaping the car tires of a huge honking auto. Apparently, this morning or overnight, he met his maker. He now resides in chipmunk heaven, where the acorns are plentiful, and the storage holes are already dug for him.

· Registered
171 Posts
ashpelham said:
This morning I passed by the flattened corpse of a chipmunk that I'd seen on my main road about a hundred times over the past few months, each time narrowly escaping the car tires of a huge honking auto.
Last summer I had on one of my regular training routes a squirrel ran over by maybe a hundred times or more by buses and cars and just lying on the road. It was flat. Really, really flat. Too bad I never photographed it but passing by on a bike there was nothing of it that looked liked it was NOT a part of the road surface except of course the fact it was or had been a squirrel once. Never seen something like that before.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
The cat and the turtle bothered me. I've got cats. Never had a turtle. Dunno why it bothered me, but it did.

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
nice pictures.

· half-fast
7,403 Posts
MarkS said:
...The very few times that I actually have seen a vehicle hit an animal have been somewhat traumatic. I really do not like to see actual hits.
I heartily agree. Not cool. Especially when some dumbass dog chases you and gets whacked on a holiday weekend. That's still sad when I think about it.

The pictures, though, are interesting, in that I have wondered about similar pictures from time to time. I may even have ended up with unintentional roadkill in previous ride reports.

· Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
The worst for me was seeing a cat get hit out in front of my ex-girlfriend’s house a number of years ago, and then the poor thing was jumping and flopping around (with an obvious bunch of broken joints) with it’s eyes completely popped out of the sockets. People really needed to slow the föck down on that street—30MPH zone and everyone would go zooming through as fast as their car would go, so it seemed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.