Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new bottle of road chain lube, mine's running low and now, I'm looking for something that keeps the chain looking clean. I had good experience before with Finish Line's teflon dry lube, but I happened on this by chance :
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=NP08631
I understand there are some ceramic particles or something of the like in the lube and they claim that the ceramic coating it provides is non-sticky and leaves the chain clean for a while. They also say that it makes for long intervals between applications.

Do any of you guys know if there's some truth behind the claims? Knowing that it's about 2-3$ more expensive than their teflon dry lube (which works well), do you think it's worth it?

I think I'm making too much out of that lube purchase - it's such a banal thing... But I really like when my chain looks clean :D

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Yep. Easy to use, keeps the chain pretty clean, and doesn't cost a ton of $$. Just need to apply fairly frequently.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
waste of money....

The biggest enemy of chains is road grit. Even the best lube becomes nothing but a grinding paste very quickly. With that in mind, I relube every other ride with a homebrew mix that cost about 16 cents per ounce and works just as well as any of the products that sell for $2-3 per ounce.

A product like ProLink is mostly mineral spirits that costs pennies per ounce. I tried it nearly 10 year ago and found that you could ge the same result with 3 parts mineral spirits and 1 part oil. Many oil will work, including any motor oil, transmission fluid, 80/90W gear lube or chainsaw bar oil.

These days, I've switched from mineral spirits to a faster evaporating solvent - camp stove fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts