Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get some feedback as to road maintenance methods in your (Texas) city.

Our city puts a little oil (or whatever) down and then a boatload of gravel over that. Of course this means it is impossible to ride on immediately and may be dangerous until the gravel is either pounded in by vehicles, washed off the road, or eventually (if ever) swept by the city.

In the county, they often chipseal roads which can make them rougher (but not always). This usually doesn't result in the loose gravel situation.

I'm trying to get some info to present to our city traffic engineer so they will perhaps modify their evil ways.

Always the optimist.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
All the road repairs I've seen lately fill in with asphalt on concrete roads. It's always uneven and the asphalt gets beaten up pretty quickly. Why they can back fill with concrete is beyond me.

Chipseal sucks but it's cheap. That's why it gets used. I've never seen the situation you are talking about with the loose gravel. Not in Dallas proper at least.

·
Registered
638 Posts
In the countryside north to west of San Antonio almost all the roads have been chip-sealed. In the city it's still mostly asphalt and much smoother. I once rode across a road that had just been "repaved" and it had about 1/2 inch of loose gravel on it! That's the worst I've encountered so far, but the loose gravel is common when they've just repaved the road.

Another question: Why is it that they keep repaving roads that don't need it and the ones that desperately need it are never repaved?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.