Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've finally made up my mind and want to start commuting to work on a bike(8.5m). I also plan on using it on the weekends mainly on pavement. I have been looking at the types of bikes and don't know which type of bike to start looking for. The Road bikes seem like the tires/rims wont stand up to potholes or curbs and seem like they will be bend on a hard impact. I also would prefer a straight bar vs the curved ones and the Mountain bikes seem innapropiate considering the tires are thicker and seems like it will make it more difficult to get around the city but i like the suspension factor.I kind of like the GMC Denali XL 700cc Road bike (22.5"/57.5cm Frame)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...209-2276031?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=3375251

Can anyone point me in the right direction,I appreciate any input.Here's my measurements:

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 34
Trunk: 23
Forearm: 12.5
Arm: 17
Thigh: 24
Lower Leg: 24
Sternal Notch: 60
Total Body Height: 72

The Competitive Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 55.9 - 56.4
Seat tube range c-t: 57.7 - 58.2
Top tube length: 49.3 - 49.7
Stem Length: 9.2 - 9.8
BB-Saddle Position: 84.6 - 86.6
Saddle-Handlebar: 44.6 - 45.2
Saddle Setback: 3.6 - 4.0
Seatpost Type: NON-SETBACK

The Eddy Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 57.1 - 57.6
Seat tube range c-t: 58.9 - 59.4
Top tube length: 49.3 - 49.7
Stem Length: 8.1 - 8.7
BB-Saddle Position: 83.8 - 85.8
Saddle-Handlebar: 45.4 - 46.0
Saddle Setback: 4.8 - 5.2
Seatpost Type: SETBACK

The French Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 58.8 - 59.3
Seat tube range c-t: 60.6 - 61.1
Top tube length: 50.5 - 50.9
Stem Length: 8.3 - 8.9
BB-Saddle Position: 82.1 - 84.1
Saddle-Handlebar: 47.1 - 47.7
Saddle Setback: 4.3 - 4.7
Seatpost Type: SETBACK

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
GMC Denali ?

Please look elsewhere for a bike. This is a department store bike, and you will get what you pay for or even worse, you may get injured.

This bike has serious safety issues. I believe it has 3 piece handle bars.

You will not find anything new of quality in this price range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info KendleFox,like I said, I am lost when it comes to bikes. It looked like a decent bike, I guess I was wrong. So what type of bike should I look into with a $200budget.I know that's not a lot but I don't want to dump a lot of money on my first bike.What should look into getting for city riding, Road Bike or Mountain Bike?

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
You should provide some additional info on yourself.

What is your age, fitness, income your willing to spend, how long is your commute, and what city?

Find a friend who has some expierence with bikes.

If you want to go new, a quality road bike will start at 650.00 and a MTB will start at 500.00

This does not include bags, helmet, lights, ect. 100-200.00

If it is a short commute then a department bike may work. I dont like them, because the quality is very poor. I almost severly hurt myself once when I snaped a crank off at full speed.

You could cruise the thift (goodwill) stores for a decent bike. But without a friend to help out, you could get a lemmon. But you can find really good deals there, then take it to your Local Bike Shop (LBS) and have them tune it up for you.

You also need to figure out what size bike you need. Here is a link to help you out.
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/

Good luck. I'm sure others here will be happy to help you out if you provide more info.

:)

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,779 Posts
On the cheap

If your budget is that low (don't feel bad, my first bike cost me about that much) then you need to think used. Figure out your size and start hitting garage sales, pawn shops (ones close to college campuses are full of bikes this time of year), and maybe your local craigslist and classifieds. Sit on the bikes, take 'em for a spin (bring a pump with you if you have one cuz the tires on used bikes are often flat) keep looking until you find something in good shape for a price you can afford.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Agree - score a good used bike. With "upgrading" the current mania, a large number of people out there are getting rid of perfectly good bikes every day.

Also, more and more bike shops have their own website with a classifieds section. When a customer comes in for an "upgrade" bike and asks about trading in their old one, a lot of shops steer the customer to the shop's website rather than tie up space with used bikes.

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
I have to disagree somewhat with the crowd here. If you are just looking for a commuter you do not have to spend $500+. I have a Trek 3700 mountain bike which I use as my commuter/errand bike. It cost $260 new last year at the LBS (local bike shop), and I recently picked up another 3700 for my 10 y.o. son on sale for $220. Given his age and the fact that he rides his bike to school I was not prepared to spend $500, but I didn't want to put him on another $60 dept. store piece of crap either.

I have about 1000 miles on my 3700 now, most of it urban riding through an Oregon winter. I weigh 235 lbs. and I routinely carry a bag or two of groceries in panniers, so it is not living a pampered life. Purists may scoff at the Shimano Acera drivetrain, but for urban usage it has proven to be an excellent choice thus far. My mods include narrower Cheng Shin hybrid tires, fenders, Axiom rack, grocery panniers, and a home made headlight.

So yes, forget Amazon. Don't go to Wallyworld either. Do go to an LBS and let them fit you with a good bike. But don't feel like you have to spend $500+ if that's beyond your budget.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.I weigh 190lbs,6ft tall, A one way commute to work would be around 8-9 miles, I run around 3-4 miles twice a week and will hopefully soon be commuting to work in Los Angeles.CA, I'm trying to spend no more than $300. I'll start looking in local shops, What's a hybrid bike?

·
Registered
414 Posts
down where you are at, Craigslist should offer a plethora of options, that's where I'd look. see if there is a used bike shop or one that offers consignments. as a general rule of thumb, if you put any mileage on a bike, the value of it after a year should probably be close to 1/2 the original value. If you can find a used LeMond Wayzata, that would be a great commuter bike. I had one and loved it, but my needs changed and I got a sleek road bike and now commute on my single speed (Van Dessel CRB). If you're in a relatively flat area, check out the newer SS bikes out there. Bianchi San Jose, Trek Portland, Van Dessel Country Road Bob.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Should be lots of used bikes in LA...

I agree that $200 is pretty low-end, but you may be able to find something decent used for less than that. I bought my wife a Specialized Hardrock (low- to mid-range mountain bike) in great shape for $20 at a Salvation Army store a year or so ago. It had a Blackburn rack on it that was worth twice that by itself, and with road tires, it's a good commuter--solid, a little heavy, but pleasant to ride and with standard parts, so replacements are available.
Buying used can be risky for a novice, as you apparently are, but it's not hard to learn enough to choose wisely.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
estrda1 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone.I weigh 190lbs,6ft tall, A one way commute to work would be around 8-9 miles, I run around 3-4 miles twice a week and will hopefully soon be commuting to work in Los Angeles.CA, I'm trying to spend no more than $300. I'll start looking in local shops, What's a hybrid bike?
A hybrid bike isn't quite a mountain bike, but isn't quite a road bike either. Most have some suspension, but not much travel, road-bike sized wheels with fairly wide tires, and an upright riding position.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have to agree with Undies on this one. An entry level mountain bike like the Trek 3700 or 4300 would be a great cheap commuter. Put a set of slicks on it and it would be good for a 8 mile commute.

I bought my son a Trek 4300 MTB for christmas this year. I'm really impressed with the quality of this $300 bike. It is so much better than any department store bike, and well worth the money.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Depends. I prefer a MTB for potholes, curbs and etc. Any cheap MTB for MTB Comfort bike will do.

I bought K2 Arcadia @ performance for $350 with coupons. I then broke it down and converted it to a SS.

Big fat slicks that roll easy over curbs and potholes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sweet looking ride, dirt boy. That looks like a pretty big ring for a (likely) heavy bike though. I'd like to set up something similar for a get-around bike. Did the suspension fork come with the bike? I'm curious why you went with it?

OP, go with craigslist. Post questions back here regarding specific bikes and you will get honest opinions. 8.5 miles is enough that you might want to reconsider your propensity towards flat bars instead of drops. That distance is doable on either road or mountain bike geometry though. You will find more reasonably decent mountain bikes for sale used though since it is the standard bike of choice for new riders getting into biking.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
hubcap said:
Sweet looking ride, dirt boy. That looks like a pretty big ring for a (likely) heavy bike though. I'd like to set up something similar for a get-around bike. Did the suspension fork come with the bike? I'm curious why you went with it?
It's a 48/14T SS set-up. The frame and fork is quite heavy. I went with it becuase it was a cheap, 8spd bike with disc brakes and I liked the frames looks. I am now switching frames to a more lighter tradtional MTB frame so I can SS some real trails this summer also. That's going to be a full rigid ride.

BTW, I will be selling off the frame and fork in the next week or so. I will included the threaless stem adapter as well.

M or e-mail if you are interestead in the frame.
If you or anyone purchase it, I will post a "SOLD AD" on RBR Classifieds as it's not for sale yet, but will be in the future.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Check the swap meet! I recently purchased an older model specialized hardrock for $20 bucks. Aside from cleaning and lubing it, I changed the tires, put on a basket and whalaa... a cool commuter which serves as a going to the market type bike. Since I only paid 20 bucks, I'm not to worried about having it ripped-off and best of al...l I drive less and ride more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
$ will come back to you

I don't know if it is a matter of not having the $$$ upfront, but the money saved will return quickly. Because of my commuting, the car mileage is down, which dropped it into a cheaper rate for insurance, saving me $240 per year, gas/maintenance savings of $20 per week, and there is another $1000. That has paid off my Surly Crosscheck quickly, have had it for two years. But then I am fortunate to be able to bring my bike inside to my office (locked inside my own personal office if I step out), so no fear of theft. Just my .02

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lbs!!!!

Given your limited cycling experience, just go to a few local bike shops. Since you live in LA I'm sure you have many nearby. Tell them what you need and how much you want to spend. Do this at as many shops as possible, get a feel of what is available. Even if you do end up buying from Ebay or Craig's list, you will have a much better education in the world of bikes. Even though you might save a few bucks buying online or used, buying from an LBS is really the way to go, because you can ride the bike first, talk to someone who knows their stuff (hopefully) and you usually get free adjustments for a year(although you should learn to do minor maintenance yourself).

As far as style of bike I recomend something like these:

For rigid:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/06_coda.html
-----or----
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1033000&f=23

For suspended:

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1212600&f=27
------------or------------
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/06_explorer2.html

These are just suggestions from 2 commonly found, reasonably priced brands, most bike manufacturers have something similar to these bikes, don't be swayed by brands, just go by bike feel and for the love of god, do not buy a department store bike, you will regret that purchase.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.