Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding SPDs. Last season I experienced hot spots. I have a history of knee pain. I'm looking for a large platform which can accommodate my toe in position. I'm not keen on the free float small platform of Speedplays. Any recommendations? I'm considering the Time Impact S and Shimano PD-R600.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i just got a pair of the pd-r600s. check for a earlier thread that i posted here when i was trying to decide. i've only ridden with them a couple of times, but love 'em. much better than the look's that i was using before. very stable, appropriate float, easy to click in an out of, lighter than look's and pretty cheap. check out www.totalcycling.com for a really cheap price on them-- don't forget to check the pound to dollar rate though, their posted dollar amounts are a little off due to the weak dollar now.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
PD-600's, Time

McBaine said:
I've been riding SPDs. Last season I experienced hot spots. I have a history of knee pain. I'm looking for a large platform which can accommodate my toe in position. I'm not keen on the free float small platform of Speedplays. Any recommendations? I'm considering the Time Impact S and Shimano PD-R600.
I had a friend buy some of the Shimano PD-R600's, I was with him when he set them up. He likes them, but he has had problems with his feet, made a couple of adjustments to his cleats and that seemed to cure it. I've used Look's just about as far back as I can remember, I don't have knee problems, experienced hots spots a couple of seasons ago and dialed in the cleats over the pedal spindle and that did it. You can usually find discontinued Look pedals somewhere on the internet at a reasonable price. A lot of guys use the PP206, wide platform, priced right ($80.00). I was looking at a history of Time pedals in an old issue of Cycle Sport Magazine and the Impact S looked very inviting, accept for the price ($185.00). Pedals are sort of like saddles, some guys love a certain model, other's hate them. Don't count out Speedplay either, you never know what will work. I think the Speedplays have a couple of features the other pedals don't and they are double sided, so you can clip in either way. If money is no option I'd try the Times, I did have a pair of Time pedals way back when and they worked very well and durable. Cleats easy to set up also and last a long time......

·
Registered
88 Posts
7800s

i switched from my old ritchey spds this winter and really was leaning toward the speedplays. i have one knee with a rebuilt acl and the other knee is even looser so the 'knee-saving float' of the speedplays seemed attractive. i spoke to alot of people who had tried them and they loved or hated them (not much ambivalence). alot of folks mentioned that they have the feeling like there is ice on your pedals when you are out of the saddle and some people don't warm up to it.

while i was trying to decide i accidently got dry lube on the surface of my pedals and was told that slippery feeling (hated it) is kind of what the speedplays kind of feel like. i ordered the 7800s the next day (~$145 on ebay) and i have to admit that i liked them so much i got another pair for my other bike. the cleat and pedal add up to a big platform, the float seems more than ample w/o feeling unstable and the reduced stack height is noticeable. fwiw - i was told that most of todays pedals have dramatically more float than my old ritcheys so they are all an improvement for knees.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts