Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Thought I should come here for some advice.

I originally started as a mountain biker four years ago, and picked up road riding a year ago.

I now race in both disciplines - and I am finding that I am spending most of my time on the road bike. On the road bike, I do a lot of crit racing, fast paced group rides, and interval sessions. I also use it on the trainer in the winter time.

I have continued to use my mountain bike shoes (SIDI Dominator 5s - which fit me superbly), along with Shimano M520 pedals. I do not have any discomfort issues.

I am wondering whether there would be any benefit for me to upgrade to a road specific shoe/pedal interface.

Thanks,

· Registered
5,358 Posts
They're lighter and the larger platform pedals can be more comfortable on longer rides. You can also get pedal systems or cleats that allow a no float interface, which some people prefer.

If you're not having problems with yours, then no need to change.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
I just went from m520's to a520's and the difference for me is magical. With the m520's, I would get mild hotspots after a mere 25-30 miles or so. With the a520's, I did a metric century and my feet were fine (legs were a diff story, lol). You can't go wrong with their low price and ability to still use your SPuDs on either bike or whatnot.

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Yes and No.

Plenty of good riders ride MTB pedals and do just as well. It really doesn't matter for some, but myself personally I use both SPD and Keo.

If you're a Time, Crank Bros. Or SPD person, it's okay, nobody is gonna laugh. Plenty of 'em out there running SPD pedals on their road bikes.

· Registered
34 Posts
To give you an idea of how much difference good pedals and shoes make, I'd rather ride with $250 pair of shimano 105 wheels and keep my carbon soles and speedplay zeros than ride spd's with a pair of zipp 404's. (christ, this sounds like an algebra equation)

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
^^^ have you ridden 404's on SPD's? I don't think so.

· Registered
146 Posts
i'm in your shoes

I too started out on the MTB and now do both. I did upgrade to road pedals that still use the spd system, without much difference noted. The thing I REALLY like is being able to walk around( in MTB shoes)and look like a normal human beiing.

Stick with what works

· Registered
34 Posts
CleavesF said:
^^^ have you ridden 404's on SPD's? I don't think so.

I hate to burst your little bubble, but not everybody thinks that high priced wheels are best way to blow money on your bike. On second thought, I'm enjoying bursting your bubble, since you're clearly the type to aver without any expertise whatsoever. Why else would you suppose that I might?

· Fast No More.
770 Posts
dmulyava said:
...I have continued to use my mountain bike shoes (SIDI Dominator 5s - which fit me superbly)...
If you do decide to get a set of road shoes/pedals, the Genius series from Sidi is the counterpart to the Dominators. A few options as to closure systems and soles, but the uppers (and the lasts they're built on) are identical.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
I have some form of Crank Bros. on all my bikes. Quattros on the roadies and Acid 2's on the mtb. I have shoes from cheap Specy to carbon sole Diadorias. All my shoes work with all my bikes I can walk in all my shoes. Works for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.