Votes: 10 55.6%
  • rolling RR, two crits

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am charged with hosting a stage race in the North West this year and am curios what people are looking for in a race.

I know what I look for and what suits me, I also see what most other stage events do.

i.e. Mostly mountain RR with a TT and a Crit.

Is this the ideal scenerio for most people.

What about

1 sprinters classic style RR, 1 circut race and 1 crit.

It would be a race for the sprinters as well as a all-arounder. Would it attract more people if it wasn't as hard as say a "mountains or super rolling course" but more of a race where more people could have a chance.

The race in the past has been 1 hilly RR, 1 TT and 1 hard crit, it happens in the fall at the end of the racing season.

I have attached a pole to this or just respond.

Come on folks give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The General said:
I am charged with hosting a stage race in the North West this year and am curios what people are looking for in a race.

I know what I look for and what suits me, I also see what most other stage events do.

i.e. Mostly mountain RR with a TT and a Crit.

Is this the ideal scenerio for most people.

What about

1 sprinters classic style RR, 1 circut race and 1 crit.

It would be a race for the sprinters as well as a all-arounder. Would it attract more people if it wasn't as hard as say a "mountains or super rolling course" but more of a race where more people could have a chance.

The race in the past has been 1 hilly RR, 1 TT and 1 hard crit, it happens in the fall at the end of the racing season.

I have attached a pole to this or just respond.

Come on folks give me your thoughts.
What I see as a problem with you proposal is that if this is a timed SR (as opposed to a scored race), there isn't any good way for a rider to gain time on the field. All three stages look like they'll end in bunch sprints.

·
The Edge
205 Posts
I think you should have a steep-ass road race, so the little guys can have thier fun. A flat TT so the big guys can have thier fun. Finish up with a rolling terrain crit for the final event, so pure sprinters may not have a chance to dominate, but neither will gosomer climber types either.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Went for the rollers. crit & circuit

At 170# the hill climbs are for the little guys. I love circuit races and sprints, on small rollers I can hang on and crits are fun too. TT are a waste of money, (but I will do a few this year just so I can get to my goal of an under 1 hour 40K)

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
well...

Being a roleur myself I'm biased. That being said, stage races with crazy-assed hilly stages are a dime a dozen.

IMO it would be different and interesting to do a "classic" type RR, a rolling to moderately hilly circuit or crit with a short hill, and a long, flat TT.

Keep in mind that, depending on the road race, it doesn't necessarily have to come down to a field sprint, flat or no. There are only 2 "flat" RR courses here in Colorado. However, both of them tend to be wicked evil races of attrition due to wind conditions (Hugo) or road conditions (Boulder Roubaix). The Roubaix is self-explanatory and only nitwits like myself tend to risk their equipment racing it. Hugo is a flat to rolling "classic" style RR run in BFE Eastern Colorado that (due to nearly 40mph crosswinds), turned into a bona fide Belgian style classic race last year. Eschelons as far as the eye could see. Fields of 100+ guys came straggling in as groups of six or eight riders apiece. I heard about guys getting their bikes cut out from under them by enormous tumbleweeds! People lost anywhere between ten and thirty minutes on the leaders just from getting shut out the eschelon at a key point in the race.

If you think scoring on time may become an issue, then score by finish points instead. I can provide a scoring matrix I've used successfully for series events based on points through 20 places per stage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.